F.F.L. questions

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I know there are a lot of grey areas involved here but from what I understand a F.F.L is required if keeping a gun overnight on the premisses. This is of course in regards to engraving. Anybody know what if it were returned to the owner at the end of each work period? Also could an engraver legally work on the premisses of a licensed gun store and not being regular employee?

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave, If you make any money working on a firearm, you are legally required to do it under an FFL.
The FFL is for a premise, a particular address where it is not illegal due to zoning or other ordinance to work on weapons.
You can , if you have an FFL, work somewhere else as an " onsite repair " as in repairing a gun at the range.
It has nothing to do with time, except, if you complete the work the same day, you do not have to enter it in your FFL log.
You can work inside or at someone elses premesis if you are his " agent".
I believe there is a form for that designation.
All this is to the best of my knowledge, and you can call BATF and request a copy of the rules, or ask a question.
They are quite helpful in my experience.

Last edited:

joe seeley

Dave
If you work on guns or engrave guns you are required to have an FFL, you just don't have to log them in your bound book if they are not left over night ( some ATF people say that if the owner leaves the premises it should be logged in / and out).
The answer to the other one is again, you are required to have an FFL according to ATF.
You should also check with your state and local people, as there could be some other laws that you are required to follow. The ATF publishes a book of state and local laws also that is a good one to have, to keep you on the right side of the law.

Joe

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You don't need an FFL if you engrave your own guns and then sell them.

Also there ate multiple types of FFL. Most have a type 1. I was told by ATF to get a type 7. I am engraving some parts during the manufacturing process. They said this requires a manufacturing FFL.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the info but man, what a can of worms. Other than working on my own, I don't see much gun engraving in my future. When I took my first engraving class we were informed about some of the complications of working on guns... I can see why. I sure love the look of a fine engraved firearm though, well more work for you guys.

Latest posts

Sponsors