finally

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've tried many breeds of china white. i despised them all. i tried this one-- perfect ! if applied fairly thin, does not flake or wipe off. if applied too thick it will flake a bit. a little bit on a finger-- dab on thin, good for pencil drawing with subsequent scribing over.

Attachments

• CHINA WHITE.jpg
    CHINA WHITE.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 111

alwayslearning2012

:::Pledge Member:::
i've tried many breeds of china white. i despised them all.
I was wondering what you thought of that brand. I purchased a small container of the chinese white from GRS.
It comes in a small tray and it works fair. But today I got a tube of Master's Touch. Any thoughts?

JJ Roberts

If your going to use China white on gun steel don't leave on to long I had a problem with rust when I began engraving guns. J.J.

monk

Staff member
I was wondering what you thought of that brand. I purchased a small container of the chinese white from GRS.
It comes in a small tray and it works fair. But today I got a tube of Master's Touch. Any thoughts?
i cant comment as i've not tried either one. never herd of masters touch and didn't know grs sold a version of it. the windsor newton brand is about ten us bucks and will cover a lot of plate surface

alwayslearning2012

Thank you all for responding. Special thanks for that last part. It would have never occurred to me otherwise.

Well..... and once I saw 2 likes.... I'll keep an eye out for the beading you're talking about.

(bow)

AL12

monk

Staff member
Winsor Newton is the finest. If you have trouble with it beading on the surface, try a mix of dish soap and water mixed with the paint. You will need to experiment to get the correct mix. A little soap goes a long way.
i use it direct out of the tube. never beaaded up for me

alwayslearning2012

I finally found what I think to be the right proportion, after several attempts at coating my surface of brass.

I discovered that letting the surface tension of the water settle, and do it's thing, I think I might be onto something. Thanks for the help.

PS, a small (minute, actually) amount of dish soap was added to my water. it was curious how one can actually see it react with the water. So thank you very much for that, tdelewis. Gnight all. Off to watch FP1.

Cheers

AL12

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hello AL 12.

You will have much better luck with transfers if the metal you are transferring to is not mirror polished.
First get all the "bugs" out of the metal and polish it.
Then slightly dull that polish with some warn-out 600 or 1200 paper.

Next, Transfer your image.
Use a burnish type scribe to mark in your main lines.
Then Lightly cut your main lines.
Re- polish the area.
Re-cut your main lines to full depth
Lastly, add any shading or light cuts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors