Critique Request First piece of silver jewelry

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
I appreciate the input sir. Im having trouble with graver control and just need to practice, but as long as there are no glaring marks except for the dog leg ive got some progress under my belt. Going to do the next pendant with some longer shade lines and keep it elegant, but the amount of curves on this small of a piece without a scope pushed my limits =). Thank you for looking. Really enjoy this forum for the critiques instead of just the pats on the back.

Last edited:

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Its a good first piece but Monk is right. In fact the shading starts to dissipate ( first time I've used that word in 50 years. ) from left to right. The left hand scroll has decent shading, the right hand scroll not so much. Doing this without a scope is a definite challenge. Takes a lot of patience. But it is a good first start.

Allan

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Your left scroll is floating in space and should grow from the edge of the piece. If you don't want it to grow from the edge, then a C-scroll is the solution as it grows from within itself. Scroll have to grow from somewhere.

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for the replies, Ill be changing a few things on the design and recutting/reposting. Happy Independence Day for all the U.S. engravers.

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
IMG_20190710_010732_255.jpg
Nothing dramatic, but i did fix the few sore spots. Thank you for all the critiques and feedback. Now a proud fega member and want to carry the torch with only the highest quality. All critiques welcome, please be harsh, its the only way to improve.

Last edited:

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
View attachment 44880
Nothing dramatic, but i did fix the few sore spots. Thank you for all the critiques and feedback. Now a proud fega member and want to carry the torch with only the highest quality. All critiques welcome, please be harsh, its the only way to improve.

Great improvement! On the first one it looked like you were racing the clock to finish as it got less precise from left to right. This is so much more elegantly done. Bravo!

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
Thank ya. I decided to turn off my gravermiester for the shading and slow down, it worked much better.