first try Bulino

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
There is 22 hours involved in this scratching, pretty intense work.....kinda LOVE it!!!!!!:handpiece::tiphat: pap

papart1

70 degree bulino temp. 2x2 inch stock, meiji 5 , and my drawing. This is intense stuff, so watch out for neck and shoulder seizure, also hands, the thickness is .085. The low carbon state of this stock makes it really light and bouncy, but you get used to it after a while. The graver geo was polished to almost a mirror on a 3k lap with water. pap

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you sir for a complete answer!
Good luck, sir in work.

papart1

I have a correction Stefan.......the 085 was a thicker part of the hood structure, the main pieces most often used are .058, I am going embark on a Minn Pinn dog. Started today with drawing......we'll see. pap

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pap,
Have you ever seen a gun or knife engraved in "bulino" style by a master of the technique? I'm not talking about a picture but in "the flesh" so to speak.

papart1

Roger the only exposure to bulino that I have is on the web, this site, and the forum. I have loaded Mr. DeCummilis's basics of bulino using his new line tecnique and have applied the line and dot tecniques. I have to be clear if you already know, not taken any classes in anything. Where might you suggest please to see what you are refering ? Respectfully Submitted. pap

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pap,
I have previously made the analogy that trying to do a bulino (actually puntini) engraving from pictures, without ever having seen one, is like trying to speak a foreign language by reading a book about it without ever hearing someone speak it. It can be done but it will not come out the same.

The best way to see real bulino work is to attend the FEGA show and the adjoining Antique Arms Show. Also any regional gun show that features high grade shotguns. Also gun dealers who sell high grade guns (Fabbri, Abbiattico & Salvinelli, Perazzi, Fratelli Piotti, Fratelli Rizzini, etc.).

While at FEGA, one of the newer engravers (who is quite talented) was asking me about Italian bulino work. I took him about 100 feet away from the FEGA area and showed him several examples on guns displayed by high end dealers. He indicated that he now understood what it was supposed top look like.

When I see pictures of bulino attempts by those who haven't seen the real thing, I usually think" a few million dots more and that would look right.

Bismuth

Hey Pap,

Check out Thierry Duguet's YouTube channel. Mr. Duguet is doing bulino dot technique in several videos. (Also a lot of other interesting stuff...)

And please post a pic, when your boar in progress is ready.:thumbsup:

JJ Roberts

Hi Pap,
I believe this is what you want to achieve as far as the Bulino technique. This was done with a 90 degree hand push graver.
JJ

Attachments

• cape.buffalo.bulino2.JPG
    cape.buffalo.bulino2.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 88

papart1

JJ..........that's what I want to achieve. Like Roger said......I;m a few million dots and lines off. eh.....well yes I think so too. Thanks for posting the pic. pap

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As a follow up to JJs Cape Buffalo bulino post. Here is a Pic of the South African Cape Buffalo Banknote

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 41

papart1

Thanks MD........I appreciate all the pics, they are being studied in depth. pap

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
Bismuth! Thank you very much. I constantly watch Mr. Douge's channel. Smith and his website and video on his website. He is a true master of bulinos.

papart1

Guy's I ordered the Phil Coggan style bulino fixtures fro Uncle Steve today, with the long facet on the bottom the ability to make more precise dots........the dashes I think I have down and so to the lines I think. We'll see, its still fun. pap

Latest posts

Sponsors