Fixturing tip

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As many of you know, I'm a big proponent of fixturing parts on cylindrical blocks of wood. They allow an almost infinite degree of rotation, while providing parallel opposing surfaces for clamping securely in the vise. For smaller parts, hardwood dowels are handy, but they can be difficult to find any bigger than 1.0" diameter. If you need a larger size, up to 1.5" or so, buy a stout replacement handle for a shovel or other garden implement. They're typically a good grade of ash and only run about $10-$15.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I agree - I still use Mitch's Cylinder Blocks for holding many different parts for engraving. At the moment I have a floorplate mounted for engraving and inlaying this work-in-progress lion. The curve of the floorplate is slight compared to many gun parts, but the ability to rotate it in the vise is really important. Good hard ash, oak and teak make great holding devices that last for years - and it only takes a little ingenuity to shape them into usable fixtures. All my floorplates are mounted on these Blocks for engraving.
Lion_MM.jpg LionDSC.JPG

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I used wooden blocks for years but the cylindrical shape makes better sense because you can rotate them. I have some of Mitch's and they're great.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I also have a variety of Mitch's wooden blocks and find them indispensable.

Latest posts

Sponsors