Flat Disk Grinder - Glass to Carbalt?

Jenny2

First you need to make a precise measurements. Up to 0.1mm. Knowing diameters of the central rod, bottom mandrel and a small hole in the diamond disk will help you choose the right mandrel adapter. You can buy such adapter or someone with a lathe can do it for you. Drill press is not precise for such a work.
It looks like the manufacturer makes another diamond pad that might work. I'll give it a try. It isn't as wide as the new one, but that may benefit me due to space on the grinder as i need room for the templates. These diamond pads are very useful in my glass work if they don't work for metal sharpening, so nothing is going to waste. It would just be great to have one piece of equipment function for more than one type of work. I'll mainly use the hand pads, but again it would be nice to have an option at least for the first rough pass of the graver. Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jen........does the lap on the red one allow for the jam nut to screw on? Maybe by 2-3 threads? It doesn't look like.but it looks like there is room. whats up with that?

papart1

I see said the blind man, center hole is .500 and your red is bushed. you need to take it ( the lap) to someone that can drill the lap the same as the red one, then everything will fly.

Jenny2

Jen........does the lap on the red one allow for the jam nut to screw on? Maybe by 2-3 threads? It doesn't look like.but it looks like there is room. whats up with that?
I ordered another disk from the same manufacturer as the grinder, and it should work. I will still try to have the other disk drilled too. I'd love to have a few extra disks for both metal and glass work. I'll post again when i have this worked out. Thank you for your time.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
You can buy what is called a master lap from Rio Grand jewelry supply for about $ 25.00 and all the diamond laps your little heart desires. They have what is called a topper lap with grits from 65 to 3000 that you put on top of the master lap. If you are not sure call their customer service department and they will get you on the right track. This is a great company to work with I can not say enough good things about them.

Jenny2

You can buy what is called a master lap from Rio Grand jewelry supply for about $ 25.00 and all the diamond laps your little heart desires. They have what is called a topper lap with grits from 65 to 3000 that you put on top of the master lap. If you are not sure call their customer service department and they will get you on the right track. This is a great company to work with I can not say enough good things about them.
Hum, interesting. I already ordered from Diamond Tech, but i will keep this in mind. They told me their smaller disk will fit onto my grinder perfectly. Thank you for chiming in!

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
i have always found it easier and closer to tollerance by enlarging a hole. much trickier to make a small bushing that's going to work.
you may need a number drill or letter drill to enlarge the hole to where you want it to be. the disk is likely just mild steel, so drilling would be easy.

papart1

I'm kinda with glcleaker, Rio, not the other REO!! they will bend over bend over backwards for their customers. Same too with Otto Frei

Jenny2

i have always found it easier and closer to tollerance by enlarging a hole. much trickier to make a small bushing that's going to work.
you may need a number drill or letter drill to enlarge the hole to where you want it to be. the disk is likely just mild steel, so drilling would be easy.
The disc i just ordered will be exactly like the red one, but a solid diamond pad. :)

Jenny2

..... wait half inch ABOVE the wheel? I've been lowering my drill press table half inch BELOW the wheel...... that might very well explain my cutting issues.....

Template is on the table and the diamond block is 1/2 inch higher. That is my understanding. Please let me know if that is incorrect.

Takoyaki

Hi all,

It's sometimes confusing!

With the GRS dual angle, the height doesn't matter, cause it's post mounted, angle stays in any height Same.

Lindsay templates are made for to use with 1/2 inch height difference,
between the base (foot?!) of the template (lower) and the diamond stone (manual sharpening) or a diamond grinding disc on a power grinder/drill press (higher)!

I use both, the GRS dual angle AND the Lindsay templates!

Folks here are from many different parts of the world, using maybe different words/vocabulary for the very same thing ...
... If I ve been mistaken, sorry for the confusion!

... pictures and videos might be easier understand !

https://www.engravingschool.com/private/Lindsay Sharpener.htm

Greetings,
Tako

allan621

" Folks here are from many different parts of the world, using maybe different words/vocabulary for the very same thing ...
... If I ve been mistaken, sorry for the confusion! "

There has been confusion trying to get the exact meaning of words since words were created. The hardest part about learning to engrave was trying to understand the difference between belly angle and lift, when there wasn't any difference at all. When I started back in the previous century, before the online world, most engravers kept to themselves and hated sharing anything. So when they had to describe something that they didn't really had a word for they plucked one out of the air. And they plucked different words for the same thing. I actually started keeping track of what different engravers called the same tool and engraving cut so I knew what they were trying to explain if they could be persuaded to explain things at all. Things are much better now.

I also use the Lindsay and GRS sharpeners. For the Lindsay templates, the distance between the top of the sharpening stone ( doesn't matter if its flat bench stone or round wheel or anything else of any shape or size ) and whatever the template is resting on is one half inch.

Although in the photo from the engraving school link the measuring ruler is in tenths. Took me a few looks to figure that out. :rolleyes:

Allan

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"There has been confusion trying to get the exact meaning of words since words were created."

I know you think you understood what I said, but I don't think you understand that what I said is not what I meant.

allan621

"There has been confusion trying to get the exact meaning of words since words were created."

I know you think you understood what I said, but I don't think you understand that what I said is not what I meant.[/QUOTE

Its gratifying that you understand my meaning perfectly. In fact I wasn't sure what I said the first time around but now...wait a minute.. What we're we talking about again?:rolleyes: