flat graver usage

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it's possable to learn engraving using only a flat graver to start. as slill is gained, other gravers can be used to finalize a design. this is primarily for newbies.

RFS

Nice video. What are you using to darken the background? Also, is that a scotch-brite pad (what number ?) being used on the surface? Thanks.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Knifemaker and engraver Harvy McBurnette used a flat graver exclusively for the many knife engravings he did.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
Monk, please correct me if I'm wrong (I usually am), of the three gravers you used..............only one was flat?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Knifemaker and engraver Harvy McBurnette used a flat graver exclusively for the many knife engravings he did.
Yes Sam.
And I sure you remember that engraver George Sherwood cut many hundreds of guns, knives and jewelry using flats just about exclusively.
George, great guy, always kidded that when he made a flat graver he got two points for the price of one.

monk

Staff member
Monk, please correct me if I'm wrong (I usually am), of the three gravers you used..............only one was flat?
n the video a flat graver was used to create the main design. it looks like a 90 was used to do the shade and crosshatch. of the many early engravings i did, i only used flats. i could do quite a bit with them. i began using flats and rounds together. and then added 90's to my arsenal as i gained more experience. i am self-taught.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
thanks Monk.............I am also self taught, bad habits and all!!!!

Sponsors