Forced into an uncomfortable position

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
For those who have not read the Forum Rules and Guidelines, now might be a good time. The Cafe's mission and rules of conduct are plainly written for all to see. While I'm a pretty easy going guy, I will not sit back and allow personal attacks or hate posts of any kind. If you feel the need to hurl insults, then do it elsewhere. To use our Cafe as a place to publicly humiliate another memeber is a personal insult to me and all who make this the excellent and friendly forum that it is. It cannot and will not be tolerated.

Please don't test me.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've got a rule in life that if you want to insult me you're pretty much going to have to explicitly tell me so.
It's an especially important rule in on-line communications where we get just a tiny fraction of the information we get face to face.
Time and again you see someone take a potentially innocent remark the wrong way (or heck, maybe the right way) and get offended. So then they come back harder. Which makes the original person mad (or madder if they did intend to offend originally). This gets other folks upset so they say something. Everyone's in a bad mood so everything gets taken as if it was meant as an insult.
It's just not a good thing.

So I try to do like most guys wish most ladies would do: when something could be taken in several ways and some of them are offensive and others are pleasant - assume we meant the good way.

By being sometimes forcibly unoffended I know that I've avoided / averted more than one flame war - in some cases I know I've quenched someone who really was trying to start something. And as far as I'm concerned that's the only way to 'win' a flame war.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
It's a mystery to me what would be gained by using such a tactic. It's not getting past editing
that done on all emails. A discussion is more interesting any way. One should be allowed to disagree
but, in a civil manner. Thanks, Sam for keeping the Cafe a place that I want to relax in.

Jim

david bain

Elite Cafe Member
This is a good site.One of the main reasons is because of Sam's policies.Thanks for you're time Sam.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Of all the tools out there this forum is the best tool to have access to. Anything you can ever need to know can be obtained here, plus you can keep in touch with fellow engravers (after sitting alone in your cave all day tapping away its nice to know your not the only one)

So why risk the future of the forum?? It to helpfull to, to many people to do that. Brian

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for keeping this a nice place to hang out Sam. I'm sorry but I don't read ever post, I've got a full plate and if I read everything posted I wouldn't ever get anything done. I look at pictures posted and read the titles of the threads and if it's something I interested in or something I'm struggling with at the moment I'll read it. I've missed what was said evidentially but if it was said out of arrogance or hatefulness then it shouldn't have been said. I'm all for speaking the truth when needed but one needs to be diplomatic about it. Thanks for keeping an eye on everything Sam. I've enjoyed the time I've spent here. Dwayne

Latest posts

Sponsors