Frustrated cutting 440C

Attempting some work on 440C (pre heat treatment) is proving extremely frustrating. I am spending much more time sharpening my chipped graver than cutting.
I am using the Lindsay Universal 116 degree graver with my palm control. Have tried the carbalt and HSS gravers. The HSS seems a little better, but mostly I only get one short cut before chipping the tip.
Have had no problem with mild steel and 416 stainless.
I would very much appreciate any advise.
Wolfgang

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Attempting some work on 440C (pre heat treatment) is proving extremely frustrating. I am spending much more time sharpening my chipped graver than cutting.
I am using the Lindsay Universal 116 degree graver with my palm control. Have tried the carbalt and HSS gravers. The HSS seems a little better, but mostly I only get one short cut before chipping the tip.
Wolfgang
Hey Wolf. My advice is to avoid 440c. I’ve hated myself each time I attempted to engrave that miserable stuff. Can I cut it? Yeah if you want to call it that. Can I do my best work? No,

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i quite agree with sam. however, if half way thru a given project, umm-- double bugger. use a lube and try dubbing the tip a bit. that may help. hang in there !

Thank you so much Sam and Monk. It is less frustrating dealing with this knowing that my problems are not entirely due to my inexperience.
Dubbing the tip has helped a great deal. Thank you again.
I made several knives in 440C, and now have to deal with engraving them. It is not all bad since it forces me to concentrate on proper cutting technique. I will work my way trough this.
Wolfgang

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Wolfgang
If you can, try to fully anneal it. Its actually OK to cut

Latest posts

Sponsors