Announcement: Full time hand engraver wanted

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Bill was my basic engraving instructor at GRS. A great teacher, and a really fine craftsman. Love his style. Really bold, and straightforward, with a prominent aquatic feel. Working with Bill would be an absolute blast! So happy to see his engraving practice take off at the level he needs to hire on. Hopefully this is a bellwether for the industry.

Oyster

Hello everyone, and thank you Sam for posting this. I type this while I should be engraving for yet another 16 hour workday - hence my need to hire some help! Ideally, I am looking for a new young talent with heaps of artistic ability which I could help mold into a career engraver with an ability equal to or surpassing my own. Can you draw? Really well? But lack engraving experience?Then I can teach you to engrave (I have previously taught Basic Engraving and Advanced Sculpting and Inlay at GRS). Are you already a great engraver looking to go full time? I can provide you with the work without the hassle of marketing, returning client e-mails and phone calls, tax forms, website maintenance, bill collecting etc. my little fly rod business provides us a constant stream of custom engraving work - more than I can handle alone. We’ve been around for 22 years and were voted Georgia’s small business of the year in 2019. I’m looking for someone to move here https://www.blueridgemountains.com/ to work full time in our workshop in the historic downtown business district of Blue Ridge, Ga. this link https://oysterflyrods.com/pages/hand-engraving-by-bill-oyster?_pos=3&_sid=e906176c3&_ss=r will give you an idea of the type of engraving work which I do here and we hope to teach someone new to do as well. Keep in mind, the vast majority of the items in these photos are smaller than a penny and are nickel silver components of our traditional style bamboo fly rods. Salary is based on your ability. If you’re immediately capable and profitable, we can offer you more, if you need training and can only cover basics tasks at this rime - you’ll get paid less but will be able to make a living while you’re being trained. Anyone interested, please email resume and portfolio to oystersb@mindspring.com

Sincerely,
Bill Oyster (tired engraver)

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Too late for me as well....Oh to be 60 again. Just went through a lot of the rods, gun and wood plane; all amazing. No wonder you have more work than you can handle.

Allan

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm glad there's a nickel silver lining to flyfishing becoming so popular that I gave it up over 20 years ago. If I wanted to stand in a crowd of rude people I could go to the mall or the movies...

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
like those above, i seldom hand engrave items brought to me. i engrave by hand only on things i make-- buckles, pendants, fobs , and such. if i screw somethin up, i curse and toss ! i don't think one should ever take a chance on working when there's medical reason to be wary.
one oh crap erases one hundred attaboys !

pblack

:::Pledge Member:::
Beautiful area of N. Georgia! I grew up an hour SW of there. Sounds like a great job for the right person.