Getting started drawing on procreate in 2021?

Chujybear

Elite Cafe Member
we are in the middle of a pandemic sam.

you have an HD camera but wont produce new blu rays why? not trying to be rude but you guys are stuck in the 1900s. You have deep relief engraving being done with lasers now at a fraction of the cost and labor. You really need to try a bit harder than "search the forum" and "all the info is here" when it clearly isnt. I know many of you are trying to run teaching businesses and cant give out info for free , but you should think about producing real content for beginners that is not "search the forum". You used to produce content on youtube but that stopped.

And while im venting i guess i should mention the exact same machines GRS is selling on their website at prohibitive inflated pricing can be obtained from the original source (china) online for 200 bucks. but you wont tell beginners that. Instead they need a car payment to get started in a hobby right?

I already spent quite a bit on tools already and it seems that the only way i can really participate in this hobby is by shelling out tons more money on live training that i cant access because of the pandemic , or low quality DVD's that are marked up 150%

Sorry for the rudeness but i have been trying to break into this hobby and its just extremely prohibitive. And it doesnt have to be since i know you are technically proficient and can produce real content for beginners at extreme quality without devaluing your teaching business. In fact quick , informative videos can get people in the door.

I would HEAVILY consider , especially since we are starting the year with president pandemic and could be shut down nation wide soon , you hit the ground running on producing content again for free for beginners sam that can pipeline them into GRS. And if you do. Just make sure its on HD format?

Start with a 5-10 minute youtube on quickly setting up procreate and drawing a simple scroll. Something like that cant kill you can it? Blu rays in 1080p or even 4k (especially the latter) will be valueble for 100 years because the maximum detail the eye can pick up is somewhere between 4k and 8k. DVD's are already not worth the plastic they are printed on.

rant/off

bad year for me and my family
The folk in this forum are extremely generous , and the videos are cheap for the value they bring. You aren’t owed anything here. You’ve had a bad year? Look around. It’s been a bad year.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
we are in the middle of a pandemic sam.

you have an HD camera but wont produce new blu rays why? not trying to be rude but you guys are stuck in the 1900s. You have deep relief engraving being done with lasers now at a fraction of the cost and labor. You really need to try a bit harder than "search the forum" and "all the info is here" when it clearly isnt. I know many of you are trying to run teaching businesses and cant give out info for free , but you should think about producing real content for beginners that is not "search the forum". You used to produce content on youtube but that stopped.

And while im venting i guess i should mention the exact same machines GRS is selling on their website at prohibitive inflated pricing can be obtained from the original source (china) online for 200 bucks. but you wont tell beginners that. Instead they need a car payment to get started in a hobby right?

I already spent quite a bit on tools already and it seems that the only way i can really participate in this hobby is by shelling out tons more money on live training that i cant access because of the pandemic , or low quality DVD's that are marked up 150%

Sorry for the rudeness but i have been trying to break into this hobby and its just extremely prohibitive. And it doesnt have to be since i know you are technically proficient and can produce real content for beginners at extreme quality without devaluing your teaching business. In fact quick , informative videos can get people in the door.

I would HEAVILY consider , especially since we are starting the year with president pandemic and could be shut down nation wide soon , you hit the ground running on producing content again for free for beginners sam that can pipeline them into GRS. And if you do. Just make sure its on HD format?

Start with a 5-10 minute youtube on quickly setting up procreate and drawing a simple scroll. Something like that cant kill you can it? Blu rays in 1080p or even 4k (especially the latter) will be valueble for 100 years because the maximum detail the eye can pick up is somewhere between 4k and 8k. DVD's are already not worth the plastic they are printed on.

rant/off

bad year for me and my family

First off, GRS tools are made in Kansas and not China. The crap you see from China is reverse engineered junk, of which many are counterfeit as well. So get your facts straight.

Actually, I don't think engraving is for you to be quite honest. It's one of the most difficult art forms, and it requires dedication, very hard work, and perseverance. And I'm not seeing any of that in your posts. You have to really want it and be willing to slog through anything to get it. Procreate won't help you, fancy tools won't help you. High resolution templates won't help you. If you can't prove yourself with a simple pencil and sketchpad, then it's time to move onto to something else.

It was a bad year for many families, not just yours.

ByrnBucks

First off, GRS tools are made in Kansas and not China. The crap you see from China is reverse engineered junk, of which many are counterfeit as well. So get your facts straight.

Actually, I don't think engraving is for you to be quite honest. It's one of the most difficult art forms, and it requires dedication, very hard work, and perseverance. And I'm not seeing any of that in your posts. You have to really want it and be willing to slog through anything to get it. Procreate won't help you, fancy tools won't help you. High resolution templates won't help you. If you can't prove yourself with a simple pencil and sketchpad, then it's time to move onto to something else.

It was a bad year for many families, not just yours.
Dear Mr. Alfano,
I was fortunate enough to receive one of your excellent and priceless instructional DVDs this week. I have been traveling a solitary path of self discover, fumbling in the dark if you will, into the world of engraving. This site and your video have served as a beacon of light to whom only a man standing in the darkness can truly appreciate its warm embrace, that could so easily be lost on whom eyes are shut or blinded by the false beauty of this digital world. Thank you and all others for sharing your gift of knowledge with those of us who appreciate it.
Dustin Byrn

Attachments

• 65C9C9D9-6BC2-4337-9610-7D65F66EED3B.png
    65C9C9D9-6BC2-4337-9610-7D65F66EED3B.png
    729.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 0439DCCC-B498-4EB8-8755-2BD3E4274CA7.jpeg
    0439DCCC-B498-4EB8-8755-2BD3E4274CA7.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 14

Sam

Staff member
Dear Mr. Alfano,
I was fortunate enough to receive one of your excellent and priceless instructional DVDs this week. I have been traveling a solitary path of self discover, fumbling in the dark if you will, into the world of engraving. This site and your video have served as a beacon of light to whom only a man standing in the darkness can truly appreciate its warm embrace, that could so easily be lost on whom eyes are shut or blinded by the false beauty of this digital world. Thank you and all others for sharing your gift of knowledge with those of us who appreciate it.
Dustin Byrn
Hi Dustin. It looks like you're off to a really good start. I know very well the path you've been on. I was on it myself from 1970 to 1980, fumbling around with homemade chisels, not a clue as to how to sharpen or handle them, and no one willing or interested in sharing how to do so. I bought my first real gravers mail order in 1973 and that helped a bit, but not much. When Meek's book came out it put wind in my sales and got me on the right path. After some incredibly fortunately breaks I'd gotten, I vowed to make information accessible so others could get moving and not have to bump into the walls I (and you) did. FEGA did this as well.

Enjoy the journey! It's one of the most satisfying and rewarding forms of art there is :)

John B.

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Well said and well done Dustin. Your posted engravings may not be perfect at this time, but they show
a lot of promise.
Remember, you have some great engravers in TN and reach out to them when possible..
Scott Pilkington holds a free Engrave In most normal years.
Lots of help, info and fellowship and fun there.
Lets see some more of your work.

Reactions: Sam

Sky

Sam like I posted earlier your videos and this site has helped me tremendously and put food on my table. I’ve not been able to ever attend a class so all I’ve had is these videos and this site. I have to admit this guy actually got me upset. I just would not want for you and all those others whom contribute as you all do to believe what that lazy individual says. cheers and thank all of you

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Sam like I posted earlier your videos and this site has helped me tremendously and put food on my table. I’ve not been able to ever attend a class so all I’ve had is these videos and this site. I have to admit this guy actually got me upset. I just would not want for you and all those others whom contribute as you all do to believe what that lazy individual says. cheers and thank all of you

Thanks for your support :) It's much appreciated.

Latest posts

Sponsors