Giant coin

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
OK, it's not a coin, not a hobo nickel, but a lot of the same principles apply. I'd love some hard core critique, since many in this group are very experienced in shallow relief portraiture. It's not done yet, so there is time to make adjustments. I haven't started on the eyes yet, and am currently working on the beard. The rest still needs refinement, and then I'll carve the lettering and finish the molding profiles in the rim.

I'm carving this in Indiana limestone. The original (photos pinned up around the stone) is a high relief 16th century carving on a building in Leon, Spain. Mine is shallow relief; the stone is 38" diameter, and I have 3" of relief, so that translates to the same proportion as 1/16" relief on a 1" coin (e.g. the new gold dollars) .

Since I'm translating from the high relief original into shallow relief, there were some interesting adjustments; I don't have the same amount of shadow to work with. It will be going into a garden wall, facing west. (midday and afternoon sun).
Trajan-progress.jpg

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
So beautiful, I did not know this quality of work was still done. I am not experienced enough to comment or critique further.

It is very interesting so study your translation from high to low and the details that make it 'your' design. Thank you for posting.

Gargoyle

By the way, here's what I started with. The pencil line is covered with a thin shellac line so it wouldn't rub off and get lost while cutting the background field to that initial outline. I was able to order the blank from the stone mill already cut round as shown. (I work closely with some local mills, selecting the stone and making sure they cut to size exactly how I need it).

Attachments

• Trajan-stone.jpg
    Trajan-stone.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 94

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Gargoyle
That is phenomenal
you should really try a HOBO Nickel
the relief on your carving is way deeper than on my coin
most of the work on my coin is shadowing to look like deep relief.
PM Sent
Dave

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
I see what you mean about the difference in shadow because of the depth difference. Could you sharpen the angle to emphasize the depth? for instance the inner circle and the eye to bridge of nose, this works pretty well when I'm carving as mask to be danced in firelight. It does not take much of a change to make the relief seem deeper. "Tis fine work Laddie!

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice. The only thing that I noticed off the bat that could be improved was the eye which is a main focal point, but you mention you haven't worked on yet. The cheekbone could be brought up a bit by carving down below it as well as the neck muscles by exaggerating the forms that are already there, but this is real nit-pick kind of stuff. It's REALLY nice as it is.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
AWESOME carving Gargoyle. That looks like a masterpiece in the making. Hope to see more as you progress.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Walter, you are the dude! Awesome piece of work and I'll be waiting to see how it progresses! Thanks for posting this. :beerchug:

Gargoyle

A little further along. Mostly I've worked on the turban, along with a bit more on the beard, forehead and touched up the cheek as Scratchmo suggested. I've also started on the eye, but it still needs some tweaking. I also started a bit of undercutting around the edge and in some of the drapery folds; I think this is what gndrgnsdd was referring to.

Attachments

• Trajan-progress2.jpg
    Trajan-progress2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 52

Gargoyle

Getting close, I'll finish it Monday.
Still have to do the lettering on the right side, some work on the beard, clean up the drapery, and I'm not convinced yet that the eye is right.

Attachments

• Trajan-almost-done.jpg
    Trajan-almost-done.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 35

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow! :eek:

You either cut that back a lot or the undercutting really worked on creating the illusion of depth.

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
whats to know....absolutley outstanding workmanship and I also know nothing about stone carving but a person would not have to know anything about it when you look at a fantastic piece of art like this...you immediatley know it is gorgeous.