Critique Request Gift for my wife

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Looking for feedback on this design. It’s for a jacket I got as a Christmas gift for my wife. I’ll remove the zipper pull that comes on the jacket and replace it with this. Will be made from 14 gauge sterling silver and 24k gold. Size will be approximately 1.4x2 inch. I will be cutting the external with a jewelers saw as well as the inside empty spaces. The lilies are a special symbol for us so they are a must but don’t need to be exactly where they are. I would appreciate close critique of the overall layout as I’m still new to drawing. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1AFA8053-677D-4E45-AD9E-4173DF2B610A.jpeg
    1AFA8053-677D-4E45-AD9E-4173DF2B610A.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 139

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
I like the design itself, but I wonder about the advisability of having those sharp leaf tips out in the open. Might they snag on a sweater or other clothing? Maybe change them to rounded tips or move them so that the tips overlap something else and do not become snagworthy?

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Looks good. However even with 14 gauge the narrowest areas of the design are major stress points for a functional pull. Suggest adding additional elements in these areas to provide additional support. Also agree with Allen regarding pointy edges. You might consider doing this as an appliqué over a backplate expressing the overall shape but with smoothed edges.

Mike576

I work most of the time with sterling silver. Even when work hardened, it has a scratch sensitive surface. Ultra-fine shading like in the flowers on an article for daily use will not survive for a long time.

Cheers

Ralf
I was thinking of heat hardening the silver, would this solve the issue or not be sufficient?

Mike576

Personally, I think it's overly complicated. I would simplify the design.
I would also encourage you not to copy/paste elements and draw each one individually. You'll get better results that way.
Thanks for the reply Sam! Ill keep that in mind, ill rework the design and see if i can simplify it and make each area unique.

Mike576

Looks good. However even with 14 gauge the narrowest areas of the design are major stress points for a functional pull. Suggest adding additional elements in these areas to provide additional support. Also agree with Allen regarding pointy edges. You might consider doing this as an appliqué over a backplate expressing the overall shape but with smoothed edges.
I had thought of this but inexperience with silver led me to believe these points would be sufficient, ill pay more attention to this on the rework. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

Mike576

I like the design itself, but I wonder about the advisability of having those sharp leaf tips out in the open. Might they snag on a sweater or other clothing? Maybe change them to rounded tips or move them so that the tips overlap something else and do not become snagworthy?
The jacket will be going on has an internal flap which helps keep the wind out and is made from a smooth material. This pull tab will be resting either against that, a brass zipper surface or the face of the design on the inside face of the jackets external flap. I dont think snagging will be a big issue but i can think about this more with the new design. Thanks!

monk

Staff member
the design is ok i think. i wouldn't use this particular shape for a zipper pull. jm2cw

Mike576

Even heat hardening will not increase the scratch resistance of sterling silver so much. Other metal parts on clothes, even the zipper‘s teeth, might still leave traces on it.

Cheers

Ralf
Good to know ill have to keep that in mind, maybe i will make the main design from stainless then inlay the calla lily in silver. Ill think it over. Thanks again!

StephanieZier

The design concept is lovely. Very feminine. 2” would be huge. 1.5 probably better. Any metal that gets worn anywhere gets scratched. It’s part of the love. Don’t sweat that.

wild willie

Looking for feedback on this design. It’s for a jacket I got as a Christmas gift for my wife. I’ll remove the zipper pull that comes on the jacket and replace it with this. Will be made from 14 gauge sterling silver and 24k gold. Size will be approximately 1.4x2 inch. I will be cutting the external with a jewelers saw as well as the inside empty spaces. The lilies are a special symbol for us so they are a must but don’t need to be exactly where they are. I would appreciate close critique of the overall layout as I’m still new to drawing. Thanks!
i would make it 1.5 mm thick, no less, no cut out, recessed areas should be black. this gives strength to a not so strong silver and helps prevent snagging from any sharp or pointed areas

Mike576

Just in case anyone was interisted I decided to go ahead and engrave the first design. I made it into a necklace pendant instead of a zipper pull.

It is by no means perfect but captures a moment in time of my progress so far with design and engraving ability. Im extremely pleased with the results although I do see lots of room for improvement, as well as a few mistakes.

Thanks so much for everyone's feedback and I will take it all into consideration when i design my next piece. This was a pain the cut out and file to shape, way to complex!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221210-030224.jpg
    Screenshot_20221210-030224.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20221210-030234.jpg
    Screenshot_20221210-030234.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20221210-030247.jpg
    Screenshot_20221210-030247.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 40

Mike576

She's going to love it for sure. Making it a pendant was a great choice. It will last much longer like this.

Marc
Thanks! I hope she will, there were a few good points people made which guided me to it being a necklace! Glad i listened haha

Latest posts

Sponsors