Gilded flare cutting practice, an ancient Arabian influence

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wanted to improve my flare cutting, like lettering, one can never have too much practice, and anyone who has visited the old mosques knows that ancient Arabian ornamentation has a wealth of interesting geometric patterns.
This pendant practice leans heavily on a circular pattern, yet I altered some elements that I was not happy with ( how arrogant of me!)

Next step is to letter the back, dome the shape and add a soft soldered ring for the chain.

I see plenty to improve on my next few tries.

Rod

Attachments

• gilded arabian .jpg
    gilded arabian .jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I would like to suggest that you continue practicing. Seriously!! If you start selling those, just like they are, many of us will find it hard to compete! Beautiful work, and a great concept!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my chief critique: i don't own it ! sort of lets you know how i feel about this. you want my mailing address ?

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you for your kind encouragement, dear Colleagues,

I hope to post a few more attempts to compare, especially if I can get more mastery at tool point. Photos have to be dull, as the sparkle in real life is intense, and as we know, sparkle is sometimes what people like.

Peter, I looked at that gizmo you gave the link to, and must get a set, out of curiosity. The price is right, you and I do share an interest in pottering around with such items, we will see who can come up with the most extravagant result!

Rod

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Terrific piece. The design is wonderful- full of interest, emotion, and tradition. Bravo my friend.