Good Clearance for Super Deep Cuts - Graver Shaping

BHB

Hi Everyone,

I make decorative brass stamps for bookbinders, called 'finishing tools.' They're used to decorate leather bindings whether in conjunction with gold or not. I've been learning hand engraving for the last three years or so, but most of it has been concentrated on surface decoration, and I hog out the deep bits using a rotary tool and tiny bur bits. Many of the historic finishing tools I've observed however, appear to only have been cut. I'd love to try to work this out for my tools.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for different high-clearance grinds, if that makes sense. I've gleaned bits and pieces from online videos of signet engravers, but no resources or classes. Any thoughts?

I'm attaching an image of one of my tools, and a screen shot of a graver I spotted in a youtube video that seems to be the sort of thing I'm shooting for.

Thanks,

Brien

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 5.56.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 5.56.01 PM.png
    603.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 36DA90D8-F826-4CDA-B2C1-BE08AE0EAC2B-1134-00000207115CB6D5.JPG
    36DA90D8-F826-4CDA-B2C1-BE08AE0EAC2B-1134-00000207115CB6D5.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 110

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
one of the lindsay templates provide such a relief. this works but removes a lot of metal that normally gives support to the face. it's crazy to do as the relief area is removed with the graver slightly below the diamond surface. sort of scary when using a power hone.

pblack

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
On Instagram, Alexandreschool has posted ~3 short videos showing how he makes his 'Cobra' gravers. They have a relief behind the face for clearance. It is modeled after some gravers used by master Keiki Kanagawa, a watch engraver. Unfortunately I don't know how to link the posts to the forum.

Reactions: BHB

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
those lindsay high angl;e gravers will do just what you are asking.. as you see fit you can grind out running away from the cutting edge and you will have all the relief you need for signets and stamps..
there is another way you can look up some Japanese engravers.. the face of their tool I essentially on the side of the graver.. the heel of the graver living , essentially, on what would conventionally be the face.. cutting looks like a spear coming almost 90 into the metal surface, but, through tapping, drive along the metal surface..

Reactions: BHB

BHB

Thank you all so much! I will explore these various options and drop some results in here once I have a chance to explore some of these. Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Cheers,
Brien

Latest posts

Sponsors