Good work vs. Great work

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
I posted this in another thread but thought I'd start a new one.

Here's a photo I took this morning using the wal-mart studio setup. I'm using an Olympus E-500 with the standard lens and some macro filters I bought on e-bay for $20.00. I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.

The ring in the photo is made of palladium and the customer specified that he didn't want it shiny. This is probably a topic for another thread, but I was wondering how many of the pro engravers out there turn out quick work, providing good quality for the masses but not necessarily museum quality on every job. What I mean is this- the ring pictured took me about 80 minutes start to finish. It was done for a retail jewelry store that loves my work, but probably has never seen some the engraving I've seen on this site. I know that I am capable of finer detail, but have to weigh my workload and my ability to pay the bills against my desire to turn out the best work I possibly can. I could probably take an entire day to turn out the same ring with better results, but it just wouldn't be commercially cost effective. Does this seem wrong?

I read about many of you that take months and sometimes years to complete a project. Do you pay the bills with more commercial type work in between? Maybe the competition in the jewelry field is different than with knives and firearms.

I'd love to hear some other opinions on the subject.

Attachments

• new cam pic2 022 to edit.jpg
    new cam pic2 022 to edit.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark,

I answered this on the other post but thought it worthwhile enough to move here as well.

Beautiful work!!
In answer to your question; I find it is best for me to work on a variety of projects while I'm involved in something like the Barrett Colt shown on another thread. Projects like that require a lot of time and I can burn out a little with the intensity required. It helps me to work on some "quickie" stuff to break the pressure a little. I would usually do this in-between the gold vignettes. Once I begin an intense little scene, I like to finish it. Once I'm done i find I can work on some other project, feel good about finishing them, get a few bucks and then refocus on the biggie. I'm sure everyone is a little different, that just what works for me at this point in time.

I would also agree that there is a point beyond which you are not going to maximize your return on the time involved on a project. In the words of Winston Churchill "You have to know when to stop working on a project". There is a vast difference between production work and fine art. That doesn't mean production work has to look sloppy or hastily done. It means that you spend less time doing it, turn out the work and move on. You will probably find that you can make more $$$ in the long run on the production type jobs vs. the fine art type work. We all have to eat so consequently, we do what we have to do until we find the patron that believes in us so much that he's willing to spare no expense in finding out what you really can do. It takes this type client to make fine art happen. Everyone else helps us survive, continue learning and keep the bills paid. I sincerely appreciate both types!!

Hope that helps,

Weldon

Last edited:

Jude

Mark
Great job on the ring. I think that the quality of the engraving is perfect for the canvas - a wedding band that will most likely be worn every day. To double or triple your time (and charge) would be sort of foolish on a piece of jewelry that will likely take a heavy beating over the years. Besides, how much better can you make it? It really looks good and I'd be proud to deliver that ring to a customer.
Jude (jewely store owner, goldsmith, engraving geek)

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Jude-Thanks Weldon

Weldon, I think you hit the nail on the head with your last paragraph. It completely rings true for me. I've had the rare customers that have deep pockets and the appreciation for quality and are willing to pay for the time it takes to do a truly noteworthy job- fine art quality if you will. It doesn't come about often, but when it does it can test your limitations as an artist or craftsman. It is this kind of work that keeps the juices flowing.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
If the customer likes it, that's the bottom line. I doubt there is many engravers that risk turning out substandard work for the purpose of brevity. I think there is always that standard of craftmanship working at least it is for me.Some project may be "special" with some xtra time spent but I don't believe good engravers can "dumb down" their work, it just ain't in their blood because of a sense of pride.
The ring is beautiful. stop fretting & keep cuttin'.
my $.02
Kent

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Kent--You're right. I would never turn out something substandard and present it to a client. It's just not in me or any other true professional I would think. I happen to be able to turn out many ring patterns very quickly. I've done so many over the years that I usually don't have to draw or do much of a layout. I just put the ring in my block and start cutting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors