graver bending tank

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i used a 2x3" pc of tubular steel 2 3/4" long. a piece of pipe could be used-2-3" dia. could be brass or copper. material not really important. i cut a pc of 5/8" dia pipe 2 1/2" long. i drilled several random holes in this pc of pipe. i then welded this perforated pipe to an inside corner of the "tank" i then took a pc of 1/8 x 2 x 3" steel and welded to the base of the tank. make sure it doesn't leak. you can also solder or braze if you don't have a welding machine. you are just attaching a piece of perforated pipe to the inside of a metal tank, and then attaching a base to that tank- very easy to do. this tank is then filled with water and should be anchored in a sturdy vise. or at least it should be secured to your bench by an assistant. ignite the torch, lower the graver body into the pipe to the proper depth, and begin heating the graver shaft. when the shaft is a nice pretty red, gently pullstraight towards yourself. stop when you think you have come to the proper angle. pull straight, otherwise, if the shaft is off axis ,when you sharpen- the face will be crooked.
since the tank is filled with water, the business end of the graver will remain unaffected by the heat, and you will not have to retemper. needless to say, when pulling the heated graver shaft, a pliers or other suitable tool should be used. onee the graver is properly bent, i would quickly drop it into a 2nd container of water until cool. when cool, inspect to assure that the bend was inline and not off axis. if off axis, it's back to the tank for straightening ! this may sound complicated-- but is very simple. pics of the tank will be posted on the photobucket site.
my username--blarfay password-- bloofay hope this can help you
any questions, you got my e-mail address monk45@verizon.net

Latest posts

Sponsors