Graver rotation angles needed to produce parallel heels

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
In a couple of recent posts, the subject of graver rotation angles needed to produce parallel heels has come up. A while ago, I worked out the angles and put them into tables. The required graver rotation angle is a function of face angle, included vee shape angle, and heel post angle. These tables show the graver rotation angles to be used with shaped vee angles from 60 degrees to 130 degrees in 5 degree increments with heel post angles from 10 to 30 degrees in 2.5 degree increments. Results for face angles of 45 and 50 degrees are shown on Page 1. Results for 55 and 60 degree face angles are shown on Page 2. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Page 1 of Clapp Graver Rotation Calculations for Parallel Heels.png
    Page 1 of Clapp Graver Rotation Calculations for Parallel Heels.png
    314.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Page 2 of Clapp Graver Rotation Calculations for Parallel Heels.png
    Page 2 of Clapp Graver Rotation Calculations for Parallel Heels.png
    358.2 KB · Views: 196

AJB

Allen,

I used your table this morning to create a templet for parallel heels on a 120 degree graver. Thanks for creating the table and sharing it with all of us.

Tony

BCan

After reviewing your tables, I'm grateful for all your effort and that you studied Geometry. Euclid would be proud. Thank you for this research.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words. Please feel free to share.
I am an engineer and I cannot stand to not know how things work. Sometimes things like this drive me crazy until I figure it out.
If you type the formula into an EXCEL spreadsheet, you can figure out the required rotation angle for parallel heels on any oddball graver shape you may need to make.
I wish there was a way to put my spreadsheet here online for everyone, but I don't think they allow active files to be put here. If anyone knows how to do it, let me know and I will put the file online. The same goes with a PDF of the file. I did a screen capture to get the TIFs that I included above. That is why they are not as clear as desired. That was the only way I could figure out how to upload the info. Does anyone know a better way.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I never heard anyone talk about graver blanks being untrue I true up the blanks graver before sharping wish I could make a video. J.J.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Someone asked for a diagram of the angles that I used in the above calcs.

Attachments

• Diagrams For Graver Rotation Angle Calculations.png
    Diagrams For Graver Rotation Angle Calculations.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 64

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
That sounds like a great idea for something short term, because it is easy, but it would go away when my Dropbox goes away (sometimes I think that I'm getting older by the minute). Something like this needs to stay available for everyone to use, which is why I put it up on this site. I hope that Sam has continency plans to keep this site alive after he ages out--hopefully a very long time from now. Maybe FEGA would take it over when that time comes.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Allen,
That sounds like a great idea for something short term, because it is easy, but it would go away when my Dropbox goes away (sometimes I think that I'm getting older by the minute). Something like this needs to stay available for everyone to use, which is why I put it up on this site. I hope that Sam has continency plans to keep this site alive after he ages out--hopefully a very long time from now. Maybe FEGA would take it over when that time comes.
Hello Allen.
Sadly the FEGA website has become virtually inactive because they could not manage the hackers.
I don't believe FEGA could possibly manage the Cafe forum activity if Sam were to give it up.
Thank you for all your work and sharing your parallel heel formulas.
A great help to those who never learned to sharpen by hand and eye.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
John, sorry to hear about the FEGA website woes. My site still isn't back up due to both it and my host being hacked months ago. My vote is to bring back the rack. Then all hackers (and robo-callers) can be drawn and quartered on the 6:00 pm news for all to see. The only problem with that is that the punishment would not be severe enough. If those folks spent the same amount of time and energy doing something good, what a great world we would live in.

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
That sounds like a great idea for something short term, because it is easy, but it would go away when my Dropbox goes away (sometimes I think that I'm getting older by the minute).
I follow. I don't have a solution off the top of my head, but more & more people need to consider digital assets as part of their wills. Forums are vulnerable too; I used to administer one (non-commercial) where the owner went off the rails, closed it down & deleted it (refusing to transfer it to anyone else), removing well over a decade's accumulated info. An extreme case, most fall to ennui.

I'll have a think & see what I can come up with. Github, possibly? Projects can live on after the primaries have disappeared and it seems to have some longevity in its structuring. The downside there is the thing isn't the most friendly thing to use for non-techs.

Latest posts

Sponsors