Gravermate problem

Donald Bell

I have a 10 year old gravermate with an small handpiece, similar to the #921 monarch,but with the airhose coming directly out the back of the unit. Recently it has been losing power a few seconds into the cut. It idles properly, and starts out fine, but quickly refuses to cut. I cleaned the internals of the handpiece, but that made no change. I also have a #508 medium power handpiece that works perfectly, which eliminates the rest of the system from being the problem, so it must be the actual handpiece at fault.
Has anyone had a similar experience, or any idea of how to fix this problem. I don't really want to buy another handpiece if I don't have to, since this would cut into my powerhone savings, but I use my engraver daily in my goldsmith business, as well as knifemaking. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Donald Bell
www.Bellknives.com

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Donald: What you have is the old 801 handpiece (I think). It's a workhorse, and I pushed one really hard for more than 10 years until I upgraded to the 901. Anyway, are you positive that you're setting your air pressure correctly on the Gravermate? If that's not set right, it ain't going to work properly. If that's not it, contact JB Taylor at GRS at 800-835-3519 and maybe he can help you. He's the GRS techno-whizkid. / ~Sam

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Assuming the internals are clean and you are working at the correct air pressure, have you done something that has changed your hand position somehow? And maybe you are pinching the hose as you go down into the cut? I know this has happend to me.

Could also be insufficeint air pressure on the incoming line, if there is blockage somewhere , it has enough bleed through to idle or get started, but not enough volume to drive it at power.