Announcement: GraverMax "ReHab" kits now available!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Once upon a time I was merrily engraving along and my GraverMax just quit -the motor was still running, but the handpiece was dead and there was the sound of escaping air inside the case. It turned out a line had burst due to deteriorated tubing. I was shocked at their condition :shock:- the flexible urethane had become like brittle wax. (Ozone generated by the motor deteriorates them- much like UV exposure.) But my biggest surprise came after replacing all of it with fresh tubing- my machine ran like it was brand new! I hadn't even noticed how sluggish and erratic the pedal and handpiece response had become. It was amazing! Older GraverMax mechanisms utilize a 'floating' mount for the rotary valve that allows a slight degree of movement for smooth operation. The old, stiff tubing restricted this motion, adversely affecting performance. While the rotary valves in newer models* are fixed in position, they may also be subtly affected by aging lines and are, of course, still subject to sudden ruptures.

If your GraverMax is more than a few years old or has a lot of operating hours, it most likely suffers from 'hardening of the arteries'. This happens very gradually- you probably don't even realize how much it's affecting your machine- or your engraving!

At the urging of a fellow engraver (he can chime in here if he likes), I've decided to offer a "ReHab Kit" to the trade. The real advantage to this kit is the handy Clean-out Tool I invented, which turns the drudgery of digging rotten tubing out of the compression fittings (the worst part of the job!) into a few quick twists of the wrist. In about a half hour, you can install fresh, flexible tubing and breathe new life into your tired machine. If you're at all adept with basic tools (you can engrave, right?), your machine will be running like new in less time than it would take to pack for factory service, at a fraction of the total cost! No packing, no shipping, no waiting, no lost shop time, no hassle- you're back in business in minutes. Even if you're not currently experiencing problems -or don't think you are, I'd strongly recommend having a kit on hand so you're not stuck with a dead machine and a looming deadline (like I was!)- it's cheap insurance.

The price of the basic kit is $40.00, which includes 30" of tubing, 10 new compression collars, 1 clean-out tool, instructions & postage within the continental US. I can also offer replacement tubing & collars for standard size handpieces and foot pedals. For more info and to order, email directly to mitch@mrmengraving.com

*As the design of the GraverMax has evolved, the fittings used to connect the internal tubing have also changed. You may want to take a moment to open your unit and see if you only require new tubing, not replacement collars and a clean-out tool for the old style compression fittings. If you'd prefer to send me a digital photo of the guts (I can't tell from just the outside), I'll do my best to advise you.

BJREBUCK

AH YES, WHAT A SHAME, ONE CANNOT GET WELL MADE, LAST FOREVER
AMERICAN MADE STUFF ANYMORE. LIKE MY ANVIL, MADE IN 1898, DOESN'T
LOOK SO GOOD, BUT WORKS AS WELL AS THE DAY IT WAS MADE...:rolleyes:
HAD THE SAME PROBLEM COUPLE OF YEARS AGO...
BRIAN

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i know what you mean, but in this case i wouldn't say that's entirely justified. the GraverMax is an excellent piece of equipment, but needs maintenance like any other machine. in theory, the case coulda/shoulda been designed to vent the ozone, but any vents would need filters to keep dust out, or maybe use different tubing, or, or, or, etc., but it would still only delay the inevitable. second guessing specific aspects of a design is always easier than weighing all the engineering & economic trade-offs involved in building something from the ground up- especially something fairly complex. comparing a GraverMax to an anvil is a little unfair...

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I purchased a used Gravermax in 1989. I ran it hard for 12 years before I had to change the hoses.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
I ran my first one for ten years. I had problems with it though for a while. If I had known that I could have given it new life sooner. I would have done so.

I don't understand why people think that mechanical things can run the same forever. Would you say that my car ran for ten years before it died. I don't think so. We change the oil and do maintenance as needed. I remember when they were having so many problems with the pistons sticking in the old 801 handpiece. People were on one of the forums saying you need to clean it try oiling it some said run it flat out for a while and get it warm.I called GRS and said can't I just buy a new piston and spring. They said I never thought about that. So they sold me one. I cleaned the hand piece and installed the new piston and was off and running. I replaced my spring and pistons about once a year. Why wouldn't you. Why wait till theres a problem. If you use them a lot then do some maintainence and they will run effectivley for a long time .What's the cost of a piston and spring a few bucks. Hoses are the same.Cheap effective maintainence.

It's strange how people think sometimes. It's like when someone would get a wood stove instaled. They always want to show you how hot they can get their house. Have you ever had someone who had a new gas furnace installed say lets see how hot I can get it in the house. Of course not. It costs too much. My point is for a few dollars you can avoid bigger more costly problems in the future. Also less agravation when you begin to have problems. Otherwise why not just leave your machine running 24-7 and see how long it will go. Of course not It will cost too much Chris

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I got about 15 years out of my first GMax. AND it went through a shop fire and still worked!

My books, photos, negatives, and almost everything made of plastic was destroyed - mostly from smoke and water damage.

When I finally changed out the tubing you could still smell the smoke inside the box/casing...

Brian

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
My buddy Jim has had his gravermax for twenty years.He did replace the hoses and it's still humming. J.J.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
I bought a used graver mate for cheap because the former owner re-hosed it and put them in the wrong order and decided to sell it "as is". I corrected the hoses and it ran fine. Then I pulled the motor and installed a DC variable speed motor and now have a graver mostly-max. The moral? Know your hoses.

Joe Paonessa

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I wish I had taken a photo of a Gravermax that I believe was run over by a UPS truck. The dang thing was completely smashed and wrecked....but still worked!

Chris is right. All mechanical devices require maintenance, even if it's just a good cleaning. Nothing runs better than a freshly cleaned handpiece.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think the sensitive mechanism of the GMax is the "rotary valve". The manual shows how to clean it and when, but the "chirping" begins so gradually I hadn't noticed it UNTIL...a friend stopped by and I was showing my engraving bench and tools. I proceeded to turn it on and it immediately blew the fuse which bewildered me!

I called JB and he immediately told me to replace the fuse and clean the valve. They are quite well designed, but I was amazed how little contamination caused it to bind up and blow the fuse. NOW I know what the chirping sounds like however:beat up:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay, if our fearless leader will graciously permit me to answer a few things that have cropped up in this thread-

Engraving is a very delicate operation- one of THE most delicate of all human endeavors (what else is more so? microsurgery?)- and doing it with anything less than a perfectly tuned machine doesn't make artistic or economic sense. If I engraved a lot*- more or less full time- I'd replace the tubes every 4-5 yrs. It works out to less than one dollar/month in $, and less than one minute/month in time spent- as I said, cheap insurance.

Yeah, these machines will usually run acceptably well (for most work) until something gives, but why risk it when it can be so inexpensively avoided? Would you ignore maintenance on your car until it seized up? Of course not (ok, some might). The point is they don't work perfectly right up until the moment they don't work at all. You've spent $250 on a Monarch handpiece with an ultralight spring, but your machine is fighting decrepit tubing, a sticky rotary valve, oil in the lines & regulator (coalescing filters people!) and you're wondering why it's not working like a combination of a light saber & Harry Potter's magic wand?

You also cannot predict WHEN you'll have a problem. Will it be right before you're heading out elk hunting for a couple weeks and it'll be back from the factory when you return? Or will it die 2 days before a big show? Even if you're not a big believer in the 'preventive' part of preventive maintenance, wouldn't be nice to know you can deal with the problem whenever it crops up?

*I acquired my GraverMax in the late '90s (I was a Gravermeister man for 20 yrs). It was about 10 yrs old and had hardly any mileage on it (tho it did have a bent bottom rear corner from getting dropped- they're tough!) and after 4-5 yrs of medium usage it blew a line. I seriously doubt it had a total of five solid, full-time, years on it- so overall age is probably a factor, as well. In the 5-6 yrs since repairs, it's been used pretty sporadically- maybe one full year's worth total. The other day I had cause to open 'er up (valve had worked loose from the rubber conduit connector- I'm getting to be quite the expert fixing this thing!) and the tubing already looked 'frosted'- like it had been very lightly sandblasted- so the ozone is already starting to take its toll.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here ya go: This is an unretouched shot of the floorplate of a rifle I engraved about 7-8 years ago. It is entirely done in flush inlaid 24K gold. The sculpted forms, the shadows, the beveled frames are nothing but a 3-D illusion created with millions of dots in the gold and surrounding steel- the background is not relieved nor is there any measurable depth at all, otherwise. The surface of the metal is as flat as your computer screen. A trompe l'oeil in miniature, or a highly detailed pointillist 'painting' in metal, if you will. I had about 3500 hrs in the whole thing over the course of 3 yrs (I didn't keep very close track of time toward the end- it was getting kind of depressing!)

Attachments

• Floorplate.jpg
    Floorplate.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 80

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
I am just a simple caveman, but my father worked as a machinist for the railroad for years and years, and one thing that he told me always rings in my ears when I look at tools and equipment-the simpler, the better. More moving parts and boxes mean more things that WILL break down, all things break eventually, through metal fatigue, ozone corrosion, humidity, lack of humidity, bugs, mice, lizards chewing on wiring and shorting out things with their little corpses, whatever. The simpler the system, the better off you will be in the long run.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch, from what I can see it looks elegant; it would be great to see it out of the shadows.
Did you find anyone to pay for all those hours?
Kevin

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
it was a commissioned piece from the beginning. the client sent me a monthly salary until it was finished- like having regular job. the holy grail of artists- a virtual 'blank check' project. it wouldn't surprise me if it was one of the biggest engraving bills in history (and on a per square inch basis, one of the most expensive works of art of any kind), but over the course of 3 yrs i didn't exactly get rich. also, my initial excitement over what could be my magnum opus, devolved into a grinding burden as the months became years...

photographing it was a nightmare and even after everything looked ok in the viewfinder, many shots came out dark, odd color, etc. there was just too many competing issues- lighting, exposure, curves, reflections, etc.- to shooting a piece like this AND i had a very limited time frame with the gun in my possession so had no time to arrange for a pro, nor did the client want it out of my sight or my safe. you may not believe it, but the photos don't begin to do it justice- the 3-D effect in 'real life' is so striking it's freaky. when held at just the right angle, it comes alive...

Sponsors