Gravers for engraving on gold.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What is the best graver angles for engraving on gold?? I have been using a carbide square graver with a 60 deg face, 20 deg heal and 110 deg belley angle. It is stil hard to control. I am doing some very fine shading and outlining.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gold or steel either can use the same gravers without difficulty

I would think the 60 degree face is the greatest factor making it difficult to control, possibly the 20 degree heel, depending on your wrist angle in relation to your work. try a 45 and 15 respectivley and see how that works for you.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
gravers for gold

My suggestion is to use high speed instead of carbide for the toughness of HS.Use the same geometry that you are using now.I think that you will find the cutting tip will last longer and cut about the same as the carbide graver.I have used carbide for a long time end have run into this before.The carbide cuts well but is quite brittle,HS willget dull before the tip breaks.
Givitago and let me Know how it works,
Dave

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dmitriy.
I see you are a gold smith. It seems like such an acute angle would want to dive . I will try it and see.
Thanks for the tips fellows. All others will be appreciated.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I use carbide almost exclusively on gold when using flat and 120˚ gravers. When polished they produce brilliant bright cuts with less build-up as Scott pointed out. If I need a square graver I usually use HSS as it's tougher and less prone to point failure.

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
Dmitriy.
I see you are a gold smith. It seems like such an acute angle would want to dive . I will try it and see.
Thanks for the tips fellows. All others will be appreciated.

Hi Jerry. Please, just try it. When I will have a little piece of free time, I'll try to make a tutorial for a different sharpening angles for a different metals

Latest posts

Sponsors