Gravers/Graver Sharpening Questions

ShaneMac

Greetings,

I recently got into hammer & chisel engraving, and bought the tools for it. I was recommended an Onglette graver from GRS, and have no idea what to do with it. Does it come ready to use? I've been trying to research how to sharpen one of these, and so far I don't even know if Onglette gravers even need to have a heel.

Also, I've been looking into the Lindsay sharpening template system, and it seems relatively inexpensive if you know what you're looking for, however I have no idea what I'm looking for. I have several water stones, but I've also heard that water stones don't work very well for sharpening gravers. Would they still be effective until I get the funds to get diamond stones?

For reference, I'm using a Sam Alfano handle, so any GRS graver will work.

Thanks,

Shane McCarthy

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"I was recommended an Onglette graver from GRS, and have no idea what to do with it."

really? unless you need to undercut some fine inlay cavities or some other specialized task involving deep fine lines or narrow sculpting details, i'd chuck it in the back of the drawer and forget about it. i can't remember the last time i used one. and yeah, i know how to sharpen an onglette, but it's a PITA and there's almost no reason to know that.

water stones are too soft for little things like gravers. you'll wear a groove in them in no time. water stones are fine for wider blades such as woodworking chisels, plane irons, and the like, but gravers will ruin them.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
theres info at the beginnoing of the forum page.sharpening is a no brainer. it has to be if i know how to do it. i'm with mitch on the onglette. i find no use for them. the graver of choice is something you kind of grow into. i'd suggest a 90 degree, or square as some call it. there's a post on the page here on elementary sharpening. tons of videos on you tube. you're in an age where you could nearly learn to do brain surgery. good luck.

ShaneMac

"I was recommended an Onglette graver from GRS, and have no idea what to do with it."

really? unless you need to undercut some fine inlay cavities or some other specialized task involving deep fine lines or narrow sculpting details, i'd chuck it in the back of the drawer and forget about it. i can't remember the last time i used one. and yeah, i know how to sharpen an onglette, but it's a PITA and there's almost no reason to know that.

water stones are too soft for little things like gravers. you'll wear a groove in them in no time. water stones are fine for wider blades such as woodworking chisels, plane irons, and the like, but gravers will ruin them.
Thank you, I will now be going with Lindsay sharpening set. Seems a lot more simple since they just use 3/32 Square graver blanks for every template. Also comes with diamond stones, which will replace the water stones I have.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
See my video on hand sharpening square gravers. It's very easy to do and I sharpened gravers and chisels that way for many years. Find it on Youtube.

I see no point in using an onglette when there are much easier ways to make chisels. But some of the best engravers have used them (Churchill for instance).