Help, please: Grs 901 compressors

Chris(WS)

I am new so forgive me if this is covered already on another forum or page located here.
I am looking at a Sil-Air 20A or something that size to work a 901 GRS palm control with the AT system from GRS.
I will be working from an RV and I’m more or less taking all the advice I can before deciding on the right compressor.
I would like quiet and oil-less and small but with enough CFM rating to operate the machine. I am limited on space which is the biggest issue.
I know GRS offers the Val-Air and the California Air twin tank, which is small just looking for smaller and quieter if possible. Sil-Air 20A is the size I would prefer but oil less. (Has anyone tried this compressor on a GRS palm control?)
Used equipment for sale is also welcome.
Looking for the microscope arm* for my scope and a small compressor that will work the GRS 901/AT equipment.
Sincerely,
a lost newbie to engraving.
-chris

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the froum. check out the classified "buy & sell section of the forum. you never know what's there till you check it out. if none of the members can answer the question, a call to emporia surely will. good luck.

Chris(WS)

welcome to the froum. check out the classified "buy & sell section of the forum. you never know what's there till you check it out. if none of the members can answer the question, a call to emporia surely will. good luck.

Thank you, I will certainly talk to them. I didn't know if anyone knew the appropriate CFM/PSI used on that handpiece. If I could get by with a constant running Sil-Air 20A.

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
The sil air through grs is exactly what you are looking for. The california air they offer is far too loud for what you need. I have tried both and now use the sil air with my gravermach AT in an apartment setting. No noise problems.

Chris(WS)

The sil air through grs is exactly what you are looking for. The california air they offer is far too loud for what you need. I have tried both and now use the sil air with my gravermach AT in an apartment setting. No noise problems.
Thank you. It’s now just a matter of where to put it while I cut. Again... we are talking very very limited space.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
One of our members (Billzach) used an airbrush compressor for quite some time. They run continuously and are small and very quiet. I don't know how well or how reliable it'd be, but I think it's well worth investigating.

I bought an ancient Paasche airbrush compressor on ebay years ago to test and it worked on my Gravermax, but crapped out after a few hours. It was like a worn out car with 500,000 miles on it so the Gravermax didn't cause it to fail. They're diaphragm compressors so they're designed to run continuously. If it would work for you it could be a nice, small solution for engraving in your RV.

Sil-Air and Val-Air compressors are excellent. I have two Sil-Airs which have been going strong for many years. But they're expensive, heavy, and do require oil.

I wouldn't consider a California Air for RV use. Too dang loud despite the claims of them be quiet compressors. They're quieter than loud compressors, but that's about it.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you. It’s now just a matter of where to put it while I cut. Again... we are talking very very limited space.
You can always set the compressor out side and run your air supply into your work area. It sounds like you will be setting up every day and tearing down at the end of your day. I have changed my working area countless times over the last five years until I reached what I feel is my optimum working area currently 6 x 8, but I do silversmithing and cut gemstones in this same area. I strongly suggest you take a page out of interior design draw your work area out to scale, little square to scale that represent your equipment and move things around on paper first, work the puzzle out first save time and money. My wife taught me this 3 years ago. Give credit to who deserves it.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Great advise from gclaker.
Draw out a hard copy of your total space to scale.
Use a quarter or half inch to the foot scale.
Then use fade-out graph tracing paper over that to plan your options.
Much easier to move things around.

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
I have a super silent 50 and a larger California air. While the SS50 is the quietest, the California Air is very quiet too. You can easily have a normal conversation with it and it isn’t annoying. My small airbrush compressor is very loud and annoying and is not really made to power engraving stuff. I would recommend one with an air tank so the motor isn’t constantly running and keeps the air pressure even.

Chris(WS)

One of our members (Billzach) used an airbrush compressor for quite some time. They run continuously and are small and very quiet. I don't know how well or how reliable it'd be, but I think it's well worth investigating.

I bought an ancient Paasche airbrush compressor on ebay years ago to test and it worked on my Gravermax, but crapped out after a few hours. It was like a worn out car with 500,000 miles on it so the Gravermax didn't cause it to fail. They're diaphragm compressors so they're designed to run continuously. If it would work for you it could be a nice, small solution for engraving in your RV.

Sil-Air and Val-Air compressors are excellent. I have two Sil-Airs which have been going strong for many years. But they're expensive, heavy, and do require oil.

I wouldn't consider a California Air for RV use. Too dang loud despite the claims of them be quiet compressors. They're quieter than loud compressors, but that's about it.

Thanks! I’m looking at a bunn BA400A
if my math is right CFM is 1.24, constant WOB-L compressor, so it would run constantly. Which I’m okay with. It is also oil-less.

901AT requires 1.4 CFM at 45 psi I believe.
I imagine there is a method to make this work... as I know a fellow engraver working from an RV who runs one.

Chris(WS)

Thanks everyone for the help. I’m leaning towards this at the moment I just need to see if I can bump the CFM up or if they exaggerate the 1.4 CFM requirement through GRS to cover a grace in CFM up and down.
Anyone familiar with these compressors and can assist?

Attachments

• 02ED55DE-8A79-4639-AF0C-D160F10BF856.jpeg
    02ED55DE-8A79-4639-AF0C-D160F10BF856.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 10