Grs complicated

Grovsey

Hi there I'm currently doing alot of research on which graver to buy and tbh it seems for an airgraver there is mainly only two grs and Lindsey
Last night was watching a video by grs on how to use there unit and tbh it seems very complicated in tuning it up compared with lindsey which is a case of hook upto air supplys and of you pop .
There alot of money for somone starting of and don't want to make my life harder .
Trying to find a second hand one in UK is so hard as importing one I get hit the the tax and is spending around 2.5 k I will have to pay £250 on top of the unit price

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Disclaimer: I'm a 100% GRS guy and I'm biased.

GRS has adjustments such as strokes per minute. The Lindsay handpiece strokes per minute increase as the tool accelerates. In GRS systems the strokes per minute never change until you adjust them to your needs. The Lindsay is small, portable, and requires no control unit. In order to get adjustable strokes which are good for low stoke hammering and sculpting, a control unit is required for GRS handpieces.

Both pretty much do the same thing. In the hands of a master they can produce the world's finest engraving.

There are tens of thousands of GRS machines on the workbenches of engravers and jewelers worldwide, so don't assume they are complicated or confusing. The engraving part is far more complex than the pneumatic tools used to do it.

If service is important you, GRS has dealers who service their machines in many countries.

Try them both and see what you prefer. Oh, and there's also the Enset and Pulse Graver machines, plus the Jura machine, so you have plenty to choose from.

Best of luck.

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a list with GRS dealers outside the US. There are 2 dealers in the UK

Betts Metal Sales Limited, Sutton Tool Showroom

Address

49-63 Spencer Street

Birmingham, B18 6DE

United Kingdom

Phone

Main: +44 121 233 2413

Website

https://bettsmetalsales.com/

Cooksongold

Address

59-83 Vittoria Street

Birmingham, B1 3NZ

United Kingdom

Phone

Main: +44 121 200 2120

Website

https://www.cooksongold.com/

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
Those more adjustments give you more control. Without those adjustments, you have to develop hand memory to get the consistent results. I suggest you try both for the same engraving to see which you like the best.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use a Lindsay for most of my work, but I will attest that it is not complicated to "tune" the GRS unit.. and once I've got it it is pretty much stable. The Lindsay actually requires more fiddling as you go along, nonetheless I prefer it for most basic engraving.
I'm not sure im contesting Sam here, but the stroke adjustment sort of gives you a de facto bpm adjustment, tho, as he said that will ramp up and down within the stroke length according to your airflo. (Actually I'm probably just rephrasing Sam)

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
There are hours of YouTube videos about the pulsegraver. It is new and has only been out for about 2 years I think. I am still living in the dark ages of assisted engraving machines. My Gravermeister was purchased from Brownells in 1976. I would like to invest in the new machines but mine still serves the purpose.

707chrisa

Gravermeister is that the one that is its own compressor. If it is that was the first assisted engraver I saw as a kid . I could not afford one so I got the Gravermate . Lugged it around for years pulled it out of storage put new tubes in it and it works fine . But I can't run a compressor at night where I live . So I had some money this time and bought a Pulsegraver love the thing . The funny thing is it gets warm in your hand no AC ;-p

Saxonfan

I'm in the UK as well so I know the problem of expense when getting tools that are readily available in America. I engrave as a hobby and only took it up a couple of years ago. I do a lot of my engraving by hand but I also use a graver adaptor attached to my Foredom Hammer Handpiece. I think that set up provides a newcomer with introductory access to power engraving without all the expense involved in purchasing the professional tools as a starting point. (Lion Punch Forge Adapter. pepe tools or make your own as I did) I can control the strokes per minute with the foot pedal and the length of the stroke on the hand piece itself. The hammer handpiece can only be attached to the low speed Foredom Motor (0 - 5,000 rpm) so I can get the stroke speed to 1 per second if I wanted.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Saxonfan,
I expect you know that Ray Phillips of Ngraver Company is the original inventor of the impact engraving handpieces for use with the flexshaft machines.
Ray invented his tool, on his own time, while he was also employed as an inventor for the U. S. Navy.
Because of Navy regulations he had to get the U. S. Congress to sign off on his patent to make it his property.
He and his company have several styles of handpieces.
They range from the basic power handpiece to variable impact and also quick tool change styles.
All excellent and reliable tools.

Saxonfan

No, I hadn't come across Ray Phillips and this company before. I've been researching about the products with interest. It looks as though there would still be the problem of additional expense if ordering from the UK, though we can get a lot of Foredom products here thankfully.

pkroyer

I am not sure if nGraver is still in business. I tried to call several months ago and could not get an answer , I made several attempts. Currently there is an outfit on US ebay with a Magna Graver and a Foredom slow speed unit.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Yes, unfortunately it has been hard to get a response from Ngraver recently.
Ray Phillips is 95 years old and not in good health.
His son Brian is now running the show but does not always respond, sad to say.

Sponsors