Help, please: Grs engraving vice

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Hi from Norway. Have a question for you.
I have a friend here in Norway who have problems with his Grs standard block vice. It will not turn smoothly. I gave him advice to send a request to Grs Company, he did, but he didnt get any response from them. Im certain that many of you experienced engravers have a tip or two to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance

Cincerely
Jørn-Ove

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
It could be cleaning. It could also be that the drag adjustment screw has somehow gotten tightened. Try opening up the adjustment screw first. You may wish to call GRS and talk to Greg Gentry, the repair guru. He is very helpful.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi from Norway. Have a question for you.
I have a friend here in Norway who have problems with his Grs standard block vice. It will not turn smoothly. I gave him advice to send a request to Grs Company, he did, but he didnt get any response from them. Im certain that many of you experienced engravers have a tip or two to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance

Cincerely
Jørn-Ove
GRS never ignores questions like this. Tell him to email glendo@glendo.com and let me know if you have any problem and I will forward his questions to them.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
It could be cleaning. It could also be that the drag adjustment screw has somehow gotten tightened. Try opening up the adjustment screw first. You may wish to call GRS and talk to Greg Gentry, the repair guru. He is very helpful.
I suggested the same as you AllenC, and he said he will try to opening the screw. Hopefully everything turnes out okey.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I hsve also had my vice get tight after cleaning. Make certain the brass pin is not rotated. It sort of wears in after use and if it does not line up again with its wear position it will not rotate freely I have found. Aldo don’t put it back in upside down.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
I hsve also had my vice get tight after cleaning. Make certain the brass pin is not rotated. It sort of wears in after use and if it does not line up again with its wear position it will not rotate freely I have found. Aldo don’t put it back in upside down.
Thanks for the tip Marty ! !(or at least I think it`s Marty:))

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
My friend have taken a closer look on the vice. It`s probably the brass pin who cause thje problen. He could`nt get it out. Have told him to either call or use the e-mail adress I gor from you. Thanks for the help guys:)

Jørn-Ove

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When stuck I have coaxed the pin out by using tweezers from the outside to pull on the pin while using an Allen wrench, the bent end, to push from the inside. I’ve sldo had the spring get jammed in the hole

Latest posts

Sponsors