GRS Hand Versus Foot Control

pkroyer

About a year or so ago I purchased a GRS GravermachAT and other than trying the foot control out to see if it worked, have used the hand control exclusively. I decided to give the foot control a try and it seems that on really light cuts, I may have better graver control with the foot control. I wonder if others have experienced this or if it is my imagination. Any thoughts on use the hand control versus foot control on GRS equipment would be appreciated.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My experience with the Air Tact goes way back to the auxiliary AT units that you added onto the GraverMax .....and I did give it my all.
I wore out multiple palm pads and can honestly say I used it for years.
When GRS developed the GraverMach AT, I jumped on board with it and continued on my merry way.

SOMEWHERE along the line and for a reason I've long forgotten, I had to switch the unit back to the footpedal mode and that's where it has been ever since. I bet I haven't used the AT feature for close to 7+ years.
The foot pedal is a personal preference for me. Your mileage may vary.

pkroyer

My experience with the Air Tact goes way back to the auxiliary AT units that you added onto the GraverMax .....and I did give it my all.
I wore out multiple palm pads and can honestly say I used it for years.
When GRS developed the GraverMach AT, I jumped on board with it and continued on my merry way.

SOMEWHERE along the line and for a reason I've long forgotten, I had to switch the unit back to the footpedal mode and that's where it has been ever since. I bet I haven't used the AT feature for close to 7+ years.
The foot pedal is a personal preference for me. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks, Phil

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like Brian, my experience goes way back to even the trail stages at GRS as I was an instructor there at the time.
I use the palm control most of the time . I favor it due to the fact that I have back issues and it lets me sit as I feel comfortable and not have to make sure my foot is extended to a foot pedal. I am also use to pushing by hand with my gravers so this is an natural feel for me as opposed to the foot pedal. I find i do have better control over my lines even when doing game scenes and can cut really fine lines. I do however like the foot control for rounded object like gun barrels and stippling backgrounds

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You know Marty, if my foot pedal fell apart, I bet I could segue right back to the palm control effortlessly.
The palm controls certainly handles the task for those with back or leg issues.
Like you, I use hand push for a lot of work, such as shading and banknote---because ANY power is just too much to give me the look I want.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The comfort factor with the Airtact is huge. I can cross my legs, put my feet under my chair or stick them straight out. That was the first thing I noticed about it early in the beta testing stage. Like Marty, for something really rounded the foot pedal is often a better choice because of the way odd shaped objects cause your grip to change, which can affect how the Airtact responds.

I always stipple and sculpt with the foot throttle. I have much better control.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brain when doing banknote i mix up hand push and airact i find you can really fine tune it and with a sharp graver really split hairs with a light touch if you don't manhandle it

Latest posts

Sponsors