Question: grs positioning vice

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
I have a GRS positioning vice and am having quite a bit of trouble with it not having a smooth rotation when I use it, it seems to be a bit jerky, Can anyone help me on taking the vixe apart and cleaning....thank you

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd call GRS tomorrow and ask for someone in the shop that can guide you through and trouble shoot the cause over the phone. I forget the techs name right now.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
grs emailed me a set of instructions, including really good drawings on rehabilitating these puppies. amongst other things, you can reduce the pressure needed to move the lever, simply by replacing with weaker springs.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
DO you own a boat? Those make great anchors.

GRS makes some good equipment but I have never been impressed with that particular vise. A GRS low profile vise on a turntable is a much better option.

Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't own one but I've used them many times. I can tell you that if the bearing becomes kinked or bent, it'll definitely affect the smoothness of rotation. I had a positioning vise come apart in shipping because the drag screw hadn't been tightened and the top of the vise slid off and the bearing became bent. It was a quick fix of bending it back and reassembling everything. So check that and see if that's what causing the problem.

Latest posts

Sponsors