Head rests

Ozgraver

The GRS Acrobat scope stand comes with a nice headrest, but from what I've seen some people with non-GRS set-ups have rigged up their own headrests.

How have you done this? Can you post any photos and details of how you devised your set-up?

Ozgraver

Perfect thanks!

JOOC, those holes in the scope that you have your headrest screwed to; do you know what they are for? I have two holes either side of my scope (not Leica) in the same location and I was wondering about them.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Ozgraver;
I had to drill and tap the holes, Just make sure they do not interfere with anything. Your exsting holes might have been for a light guide mount.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm one of the few engravers that doesn't use a headrest. When I got my first microscope in 1982, you had to build your own boom stands because there wasn't anything commercially made that was suited for hand engraving. So I started without a headrest and have always worked that way. I don't care for the feel of it, but as I said, I'm in the minority. Most people - especially students - find them beneficial.

Ozgraver

It's often the case that you persevere with what you started out with. I'm building my own adjustable stand from industrial components, but I think I'll try a headrest straight away. The few times I've looked into the scope so far; if my head moves much at all, I feel sick. It must be something alied to motion sickness, so I want to knock it on the head from the start, otherwise it will curtail my engraving hobby.

I wasn't sure how to tackle the headrest; I envisaged the actual headbands to be a frame supporting a length of leather or sheepskin (a bit like a hammock), but from what I've seen, they seem to be solid rests covered in either fabric or sheepskin.

Andrew Biggs

I don't use a head rest either. I've tried it and for me personally it was a pain as I found the pressure on it kept moving the microscope out of centre. In saying that I know they're popular with a lot of people. Some people use it to follow the work around with a bumping motion of the head.

The microscope does taking a bit of getting used to (with or without a head rest) and I know what you mean by motion sickness. Zooming in and out can make you feel the same way. After a while it goes away and you get used to it. I remember a small fly type insect landed on my work one day while I was trying to get used to the microscope......I just about had a heart attack as it looked like King Kong landed on the work.

Cheers
Andrew

Ozgraver

The microscope does taking a bit of getting used to (with or without a head rest) and I know what you mean by motion sickness. After a while it goes away and you get used to it.
I'm glad to hear it's not a unique problem and that it will hopefully fade with time.

I remember a small fly type insect landed on my work one day while I was trying to get used to the microscope......I just about had a heart attack as it looked like King Kong landed on the work.

Cheers
Andrew
:D

Ozgraver

The stand I'm making uses standard industrial machine elements. Various companies make them, but I'm using Elesa-Ganter parts simply because they're available (relatively) locally.

I used to have an account with the US company Reid Supply. They sell virtually the same stuff.