Heavily engraved snuff box

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Todd

Many thanks for you thoughts, I feel you may be correct, In Germany ,there was a style called Historismus ,that described items of silver made coping very early styles from earlier centuries,Rocco ,Renaissance,Baroque etc.
I feel my box maybe in this area. I felt when I bought it it may have been German or French.

I have attached images of another interesting box ,Made by J.D Schieissner &Sohne Hanau Germany ,probably around 1890s, That would be one of these pieces . It also has some nice engraving.

The enamel painting on the top is after a painting by the dutch artist Corenelis Dusart (1660-1704)
student of Adrien Van Ostade( 1610-1685).

I have photographed the boxes , Although I am not sure if this may be call repousse work rather than engraving. View attachment 47495 View attachment 47496 View attachment 47497 View attachment 47498 View attachment 47499 together for size comparison. View attachment 47494
Regards Guido

The round one appears to be repousse and the designs were chased and not engraved.

Guido.

The round one appears to be repousse and the designs were chased and not engraved.
Hi DanM
Many thanks for your comments,as I was adding the round one I felt as I said at the end that it may not be engraved it may be repousse. Thanks for your confirmation,I do understand the difference (silver pushed out from the back) compared to silver being taken, removed.

The round box was more about the historismus ,German style ,although if my other box is Italian it may be in the renaissance style ,depends if it is German or Italian what style it would be called.

Regards Guido.