Hello

ringdoctor

Hello, I just joined this forum, and wanted to introduce myself. I have used the site to view info for some time now, but have never thought of joining.

After 40+years "riding the bench" I recently decided that I really would like to add some true engraving skills to my toolbox. I originally studied Jewelry Repair and Diamond Setting at Bowman Tech in Lancaster PA, shortly after the Ark ran aground, so I had some training with gravers, but have never actually hand engraved.

I already owned quite a bit of GRS equipment including the GraverMax SC and a great many of their great tools that I use for stone setting jobs, but any "engraving" that I did was pretty much just small decorative touch-up work, using my 40+ year old push gravers.

For all of these reasons I recently traveled to the GRS class rooms in Emporia, KS, and spent 5 days learning the basics from Rick Eaton. I have nothing but compliments to say about both the GRS facilities, and Mr Eaton

A great learning experience! I have a lot more to learn before I can call myself an engraver, but I sure have a great deal more confidence.

Anyway, I just wished to say hi, and to thank folks for sharing.

Jim

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Welcome to the Cafe, Jim.
Pleased you joined us and it's good to have you in the engraving world.
I'm sure you will be able to help with many of the bench jewelry questions.

Reactions: Sam

ringdoctor

Thank you. I cerainly will offer any help asked for, when and if I think I can add anything of value.

Everyone brings something to the table, and no one can never know all there is, or afford to quit learning. In my experience even a novice can sometime ask the right question, or offer an idea not considered before.

I am here to read and to learn, though, and have no intention of doing much posting myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome Jim so glad you joined. I lived in Ithaca and Lockport NY. I went up to Potsdam on weekends (a girl). so, it sounds like some of will be asking you about a few things
Skill comes from diligence.

ringdoctor

Welcome Jim so glad you joined. I lived in Ithaca and Lockport NY. I went up to Potsdam on weekends (a girl). so, it sounds like some of will be asking you about a few things

LOL, not THAT far upstate! I am closer to Albany.

ringdoctor

I went to the artic circle once with 109th Royal Canadian Engineers. And yes, it was cold. We learned how to build bailey bridges. “A”

Winters, I have the weather ap on my phone show the current conditions in Iqaluit, Nunavut Territory, just so I can say, "well, at least we aren't as bad as Iqaluit!"
By the way, it is currently 36f there. emoticon-animal-017.gif

ringdoctor

New toys!...er, I mean tools!
My new, quieter California Air compressor, from GRS, that is replacing my earthquake simulator, Porter Cable compressor from Home Dept, and many upgraded engraving tools have arrived.

Now, how to fit them seamlessly (or at least relatively efficiently) into an already very busy, and far too small a jewelry repair shop!

0628181311.jpg 0628181417.jpg 0628181417a.jpg 0628181416.jpg 0628181420.jpg

I'm still working on resolving a serious air leak in my old Gravermax, but at least I tracked it down to a crack in the body of the regulator, and have GRS looking for that part. I have spent more than enough $ on this upgrade, for what will be mostly a hobby, and only occasional trade service as I try to pick up more experience, and skill (?) at scratching metal.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
New toys!...er, I mean tools!
My new, quieter California Air compressor, from GRS, that is replacing my earthquake simulator, Porter Cable compressor from Home Dept, and many upgraded engraving tools have arrived.

Now, how to fit them seamlessly (or at least relatively efficiently) into an already very busy, and far too small a jewelry repair shop!

View attachment 43503 View attachment 43504 View attachment 43505 View attachment 43506 View attachment 43507

I'm still working on resolving a serious air leak in my old Gravermax, but at least I tracked it down to a crack in the body of the regulator, and have GRS looking for that part. I have spent more than enough $ on this upgrade, for what will be mostly a hobby, and only occasional trade service as I try to pick up more experience, and skill (?) at scratching metal.
No harbor freight tools in this shop. I retired my hauns Campbell earlier this year, it was able to run three coil nail guns at once. My DDS demanded that I replace the compressor because he was tired of repairing the fillings that it had rattled loose. Looking pretty good to me.

ringdoctor

i like yer toys. the wall phone is even better !!!!!!!

I always liked that phone, but for some reason whenever I crank it to try to call somebody, the operator no longer picks up, and asks me who to connect my call to!
:(
We may have to break down and buy a newer phone.....

Latest posts

Sponsors