Help with tight hammer and chisel cuts

DTS419

Hi,
When cutting tight radii, small spirals and volutes, etc. should the chisel be rolled one way or the other, or should it be held straight without any cant to the inside or outside? I've been trying all three ways with mixed results, and can't tell which is the proper way. Thanks.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Whether it's hammer & chisel or pneumatic, I always bevel my cuts to the inside of each element. Exceptions are borders, scroll backbones, and shading. Nearly everything else is beveled toward the inside of that element. This makes for a beautiful result that sparkles with life and dimension. Non-belveled engraving can look flat.

Attachments

• beveled_cuts.jpg
    beveled_cuts.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 76
  • beveled-cuts-sm.jpg
    beveled-cuts-sm.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 75

DTS419

DTS,What is the geometry of the chisel your using ? J.J.

I have been using the Sam Alfano wood chisel handle that GRS sells with various gravers in the 3/32" ballpark, 90-degree, face angle 45 degrees with 15 degree heel angle sharpened to about 1/4 mm.

I also have a longer homemade wood handle, and the steel Belgium style handle that GRS sells.

Last edited:

DTS419

Whether it's hammer & chisel or pneumatic, I always bevel my cuts to the inside of each element. Exceptions are borders, scroll backbones, and shading. Nearly everything else is beveled toward the inside of that element. This makes for a beautiful result that sparkles with life and dimension. Non-belveled engraving can look flat.

Thank you Sam. About how much cant or rotation is needed to do that?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if your gravers have a rather long heel, that can add to the problem. heels to be very short for tight curves.

Latest posts

Sponsors