Hold The Phone

Andrew Biggs

Don.....................Doffing your hat is not to be confused with tipping your hat.

Doffing was normally accompanied with a slight bow and was a way to show deference or servitude to another. The servant would doff their hat toward their master. It was done by clutching the hat at the front and tugged slightly and is similar to knuckling your forehead.

Tipping your hat was a form of acknowledgement and involved actually lifting the hat from the head slightly. It was generally done amongst equals.

All a part of hat etiquette :tiphat: :)

Cheers
Andrew

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Chris, See I told you to beware of that which you wish for!!! and NO I had nothing to do with the proper "Guruship" ....... sure wish I had though, these posts have kept me in stitches. Yes, my friend you deserve it now put the damn pictures back and not with the ones you got tacked up above your bench, now what do we call those? ah yes! inspiration!!
Good one Sam, let ball keep rolling.
Geez, now maybe I'll have to quit posting so Chris can't get a payback, hhmmm, lol.
Mark

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
K F,

Please do not entertain the notion that your heart felt experience is being ignored, when you see quite a few replies that are light hearted, and with plenty of banter. It is my sense that proper support for up and coming engravers seeking encouragement is at the forefront of this, and indeed all of the forums, and we have some gifted 'officials' keeping an eagle eye out for fair play, and decorum. I have had the privilege of meeting up with some, but certainly not all, of these esteemed folk, who toss back and forth some tongue in the cheek nudges to each other. They have been colleagues for a very long time, and the posts can show a human side, as well as a scholarly side, some may want to take a deep breath after hours of cabin fever at the bench, and I know they throw a few curved balls back and forth strictly for laughs between established friends. The main thing is to have a good conviction that you are an equal member of this interesting and supportive international collection of talented odd ducks who have long ago chosen to carve a path for themselves in the common cusp we call iGraver, and certainly there is plenty of good support also in the other forums. You do right to raise the issue, since it is on your mind. Please do keep posting, and raise any issue that concerns you. Personally, I could not be more delighted by the good souls who keep an overview on our interactions, and putting my money where my mouth is, I hereby announce I will make no more jokes about New Zealand to Andrew, and those darn All Black rugby players who keep on demolishing our Scottish team, and you can engrave that in cottage cheese!

Stay with us!

Rod

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew :tiphat:

Thank you for the clarification!!!! :eek:

Then I rectract my statement and wholly admit that I would Doff Chris with my hat.:biggrin: For he is totally Doff worthy.

Donny

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
OMG, a "Maximus Bittikuss" reference. Chris I've never met you, but you are certainly a guy I would like to drink a beer with. I'm still laughing.

But seriously, I'm as big a nobody as there is checking out this forum. I've only posted a few drawings trying to get a grip on how to draw something that will pass the giggle test, and I have gotten nothing but great feedback from guys that I am sure have lots better things to do than look at my crappy drawings, yet they have taken the time to look and make suggestions/comments and I appreciate every one of them.

Latest posts

Sponsors