Homebuilt engraving box fix.

Alison Harman

I built mine following the parts lists found on youtube. Particularly the posts by Shaun Hughes and Rick Alexander. I chose the higher amp capacity power supply and added two cabinet fans.... one pushing, the other pulling, to vent the box to prevent the modified compressor from overheating. Added a disc drive power hone (sucks) and a digital speed control. The problem with the pump conversion is the piston seal.

The thin plastic seal is fine for airing up a tire from time to time. It is a one piece piston and connecting rod design that causes it to rock when running. Unlike a car's piston that only moves in a linear direction, the sides of the compressor piston travel a shorter distance than the ends a little. This causes seal failure on the ends. The donor compressor unit was never designed for extended continuous use.

The first time I lost compression I purchased a replacement compressor and gutted it for the piston. A month later I was experiencing compression seal wear again. Talking with Shaun about the problem, he was experiencing the same issue. He was tinkering with forming a better seal out of thermoplastics. I came up with my own solution. I got my idea from my antique bicycle's pump!

After removing the piston, I cut away the seal and removed the retaining washer holding it in place. Using the outside of the pump's cylinder and the inside of the retaining washer as templates, I cut a new seal from tight grain 1 1/2mm kangaroo hide. We use kangaroo for falconry because of its durability and it was handy. Goatskin or even cowhide will work. I soaked the leather in mineral oil and reassembled it into the pump. The key is making sure the leather seal's finished side is face up on the piston and extra diameter is pointing upward when assembling. This way the compression pushes the leather seal tighter against the cylinder wall on the upward power stroke.
15869647249433853576676584166174.jpg
Three months later, cutting daily for hours each day, the seal is still intact, strong and providing ample power for driving the handpiece. Hope this helps.

Doctorslava

I built mine setup using a Viair compressor. I may be wrong, but I think mine has a graphite piston ring. Two years and still running. Or maybe I am using in not intensively enough?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i like fiddling (making) with stuff. i made one. it works well, but i don't use it. just made it for the "h" of it. i cant speak for all, but i don't think any of the home built power toys can compare with lindsay or grs. jmho

Doctorslava

i don't think any of the home built power toys can compare with lindsay or grs
This was only a chance for me to get a power engraver. I do not know anybody here in Atlanta with professional tools to compare their agains mine. But it does all I want. I also want to mention that pedal for homebuilt system is as important as other components and I do not know what kind of pedal you used on yours.

Alison Harman

Mine has done me well. The Rick Alexander handpiece was a godsend.

My new Lindsay Bench Jewel setup arrives today! I bought the footpedal regulator set for the shop, and a co2 regulator also for portable work. Had Steve build mine with a plain undecorated barrel, quick disconnects and purchased both light and heavy pistons.

Keeping my homebuilt and using it for fine line work.

Alison Harman

You need a pneumatic pedal between the box and handpiece, not an electric one on the power cord. Mine was an ebay purchase.

Attachments

• 15872136857652109436946128562646.jpg
    15872136857652109436946128562646.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 14

Doctorslava

There are two main ways of control. Control the frequency and control the power. Rick was using 2 pedals where one had just on-off switch and another one controlled the power. So far I made a pedal with potentiometer inside which allows controlling frequency precisely. I can start slowly and make single impulses. The power could be controlled by changing the diameter of vents after the piston (it can be a ring with holes that overlapping holes on a handle or another nut that closes holes ( like in Lindsay's classic handle). In addition you can bleed some air before the piston reducing the power. I do not have such controls yet, but I am thinking about adding the bleeds to my handles.

Latest posts

Sponsors