Hot Tip

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
I work in my garage, so preheat is a must during the cold season.

For me the best tip is the tape under the jaws to catch the chips, instead of letting them fall on the threads (greased) below.

Lots of "how to" tidbits can be learned from careful observation.

Thanks David,

Brant

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Brant - The main reason I use tape there is to protect the watch or other items that could possibly slip down as I adjust them in the vice. But it does keep the chips out!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dave,I hate a cold vice and covered all my vice's with sticky back stair covering purchased at the hardware store. J.J.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My vise is built from depleted uranium so it stays a little warm all the time. The faint glow also serves as a nitelight so I don't kick anything in the dark. I never planned on having kids anyway.
:shock:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here in the south we don't have to worry about that much. I remember Rex Pedersen recommending a heated floor mat to me for keeping warm feet while working. I said this is Louisiana...I need one that cools :)

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My vise is built from depleted uranium so it stays a little warm all the time. The faint glow also serves as a nitelight so I don't kick anything in the dark. I never planned on having kids anyway.
:shock:
Sounds like you took the nuclear option!

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
infloor radient heat solves all those problems, not needed here in central fl tho.pap

Latest posts

Sponsors