How do you engrave ivory?

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi everybody,
I’m making a whaler’s knife and project to engrave its ivory scales.
I want something like the old scrimshaws engraved by whalers on 19th century. I never engrave ivory, so I’ve cut first this practice plate. The ivory comes from a hippo tusk and is approx. 120 X 30 mm. I’ve cut it with a little onglette and the shading is made with a needle scratching ivory, then filled in with India ink.
I’ve found ivory quite easy for straight cuts, but really hard when I try small curved cuts like letters. Can someone give me a tip for engraving ivory?

Thank you

Merci d’avance

Jean

Attachments

• scrim1.jpg
    scrim1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 173

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ivory

i've cut a bit of elephant ivory, never walrus. i don't know if they are similar. the elephant is like wood. has a definite grain to it. cutting with the grain it goes well. start to go up against the grain, well- not so good. you need exceptionally sharp tools and i do mean exceptionally sharp. i've never done the traditional scrimshaw. i'm thinking that is supposed to be fine scratchwork with needles, maybe not. good luck

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've engraved a bit, and all I can tell you is that it can be unpredictable. I think it's safer engraving the end grain, but that's usually not an option. Keep your tools sharp and expect it to flake and/or chip. It will not have the resistance of metal, and it can be pretty easy to slip. Hopefully someone with more experience can give you better advice than I have to offer. / ~Sam

austin

forgive my poor english

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Santos,
I used to do some carving for the Colt Custom shop. I was lucky enough to do the grip carving on the " Last Hartford Colt" made at the old Hartford plant. Working Ivory reminds me of oily ebony.
I have found that ivory needs to be "sliced". Gravers that have a knife like edge work well. High speed tools work well also. One of the problems with a tool that requires pressure to cut is that it will compress the fibers, which leaves a yellowish tint. "slicing" avoids this problem. I hope this helps some.

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Santos,
All ivories whether it is Elephant, Warthog, Hippo or whale, can be CARVED or Scrimshawed,
Carcing is normally done with Rotary tools and small Burs, (Dentist)
With Scrimwork You can use iether the Burrs and do small Stipples to cover the area.
Or Make a Needle point tool from a hard Matl. I Use Tungston, as these ivories especiall warthog and Hippo
can be very hard.
Then You Would Stipple small dots in the area that You Would Like To Scrim. and I fill it with Artist Oil Paint,
It takes Longer to Dry, and Doesn't Stain the Ivory Like Inks Do.
ChrisB.
Visit my Website www.cbknives.com and look at some of the scrim there.

LRB

A method used by some is to use a tool shaped like a square graver, without a heel, mounted in slender grip like a pen, or large pencil, and pull it rather than cut in a forward motion. The tri-cornered point is less affected by the grain. The sailors of old generally used the point of a jack knife in the same manner.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
LRB is correct in that the tool is usually PULLED rather than pushed like a graver. A knife maker fried of mine made me a scrim tool from hard tool steel shaped into a triangular cross-section and highly sharpened. This was mounted in a simple round-stock handle. As you said going with the grain is simple, even with a graver and as was mentioned working on endgrain ivory is a pleasure. You also may need to go over the lines several times to get the depth you need. The standard basic technique is to draw the design and "fix" it with hairspray. Then, cut the design and ink it with India ink and gently rub the excess ink off with 4-O steel wool. Then go back over any lines that are too faint.

Mark

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Scrimshaw and bulino tool.
I use a tool made from a small Allen wrench as a draw knife for scrimshaw.
The short end of the wrench is ground down shorter and sharpened to a knife edge.
The long end is held in a graver or pen like handle, whichever you prefer.
These are also made with a triangular bottom for dotting.
They work in some areas of bulino too.
Most Allen wrenches are made of high grade steel, keep them cool while shaping.
Give it a try, very little cost or time involved and you just might like them.
They work very well under the microscope too.
John B.

PS. Thank you Austin for the excellent videos. Just wonderful. John.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors