Question: How far do you look ahead when cutting straight lines

Hobie

I've read elsewhere on this forum where it is advised to look ahead and not directly at the burr when cutting straight lines. How far ahead do you generally look? Are we talking about a millimeter, two millimeters, more? Do you shift your focus between the point where the burr is lifting and your focus spot on the scribed line ahead of the cut? Or do you keep your focus on the forward looking spot and just keep the burr in your peripheral vision? Appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
strictly a guess, but i'd vote for maybe 3 milimetres. if you ever develop a physical "feel" for what you're doing, the so-called feel can provide a bit of feedback to keep yer graver where it belongs.

Hobie

strictly a guess, but i'd vote for maybe 3 milimetres. if you ever develop a physical "feel" for what you're doing, the so-called feel can provide a bit of feedback to keep yer graver where it belongs.
Thanks Monk, I was vacillating between looking directly at the burr and about 1mm out, so I’m going to try extending my focus out a bit further. I understand what you are saying about the “feel” thing, based on other non-engraving skills I have a lot more experience doing.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
When cutting next to a scribed line (I cut TO the line, not ON the line), I watch immediately where the cut is occurring in order to be sure I'm cutting next to the line. On a pencil drawn leaf or scroll, I probably watch slightly ahead of the cut, but it's not something I'm aware of or think about. Probably like riding a bike or driving a car...you're looking ahead and not immediately in front of the vehicle.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Much like Sam (prob because I spent a little time with him) when cutting a straight line I am laser focused on the edge of that scribed line and my gravwer. Nothing makes me madder than a straight line that's not straight. And the more I try to fix it, the worse it gets. Scroll backbones are kind of that way, but there is a little more leeway for fixing what I don't like. Leaves and such not so much worry.

Hobie

Interesting. Monk looks ahead of the cut a bit. Sam and Thughes focus directly where the cutting occurs. I might need to get a #10 Optivisor to better see where the burr is lifting. I will try both methods and see if I improve one way or the other. Things have gotten slowly better since I started, I really appreciate the feedback from all of you.