How Long Did It Take?

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
When I get ready to do a project the first, I make an outline of the object. It is either a pencil rub on paper or a smoke pull. Then it is scanned into the computer and a vector image is produced and printed so I can have something to draw on. Then the drawing time, for me it doesn't happen quickly. Then after many tries to get something I like. That is scanned into the computer and a vector image of my final drawing is produced for transfer. Next, I cut a practice plate to see how to cut and what it will look like when finished. If I am happy with as to how it looks, I will do the final cutting. Then we need to decide how it is to be finished. Is it to be blued, left bright, or case colored? So how long does it Take? I have no idea. I know others would not take the time I do.

Really, if anyone keeps track of the hours that they put into a project I'm sure we would like to hear from you.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
for quite some time i began timing all my projects. perhaps a bit anal, but i used a stopwatch for the first few years after a time i knew the average time any class of work took to complete. not knowing the time spent on a job means you may be giving away your time. as far as being asked, " how long did it take ?", i find that to be a perfectly natural question to be asked. i find it strange that anyone would be offended by that question.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If it's a labor of love, not always practical, the time required to finish it, is when you as an artist consider it done. It should be the best you can do, at your current skill level! Your standards should change as your skillset improves! Obviously when you're doing this for a living, time becomes a serious factor for cost, and how much effort you are willing to undertake at that price point in which some compromises may have to be made!

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
When I get ready to do a project the first, I make an outline of the object. It is either a pencil rub on paper or a smoke pull. Then it is scanned into the computer and a vector image is produced and printed so I can have something to draw on. Then the drawing time, for me it doesn't happen quickly. Then after many tries to get something I like. That is scanned into the computer and a vector image of my final drawing is produced for transfer. Next, I cut a practice plate to see how to cut and what it will look like when finished. If I am happy with as to how it looks, I will do the final cutting. Then we need to decide how it is to be finished. Is it to be blued, left bright, or case colored? So how long does it Take? I have no idea. I know others would not take the time I do.

Really, if anyone keeps track of the hours that they put into a project I'm sure we would like to hear from you.
I am glad you explained your process. I know, that when I am drawing up a design, I always feel like I don't know what I am doing( which is true in a sense), because I feel it takes a long time to finish a design. When you start engraving, you look at what others do, you watch video's. When you see people designing, it looks effortless and fast. It's very comforting to know for newbies like me, that even the more seasoned take their time designing.

Marc