I need bolster layout and design input

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Cafe members,
I struggle with scroll design and layout.
I want to incorporate 24k inlay and a stimpled relief background into my engraving.
I've been fiddling this idea long enough.
Something is just not right with this effort, but I don't know what it is.
Your input would be deeply, appreciated.
Thanks,
Stephen

Attachments

• almarr2_edited-1.jpg
    almarr2_edited-1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 256

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And even though they're actually going in the same direction, the 'left' leaf looks like it's going the wrong way.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Stephen.
You might try putting two linked or overlapping scrolls in this area.
As it is it looks a little "stretched" just to fill the area.
Don't push it, get away from it for a day or two and then you will see it with new eyes.
You're a fine artist and the right thing will come to you soon, your beautiful coins bear this out.
I will be in Glitter Gulch the week end of January 18Th at the Beinfeld show at the Riviera.
Come by and say hello if you get a chance.
Best regards, John B.

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stephen, This is not a bad idea and your leaf mass is consistant, but I see the balance problem in the background too. Keep your background spaces relatively consistant. Another one of my suggestions would be to repeat the gold in two more places in the design, as the design is right now. Perhaps the tendrils or curls on the ends of the leaves is a possibility. Another idea would be to bring the gold out of the center of the center leaf and shorten the tubuler lobed leaf to make room for the touch of gold more toward the center of the design if you just want to use one piece of gold. Because of the location and boldness of the gold as is, it throws the whole design a bit out of balance. Something else you might try is to start the design from a border and put a third leaf out on the end in the direction of the flow. The left side of the design is rather open, but the right side is a little squeezed. Do you agree? Try some of these ideas and post the results................Ron S

White Raven

Hi,
I am not an accomplished engraver , but may I say , I love the design. Some people try to put 10 pounds of sugar in a 5 pound bag. Lay out the design without the border or background removal and let the design speak for itself . There is beauty in simplicity !
Ron

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that I've had more time to look at it, how about moving the gold up to the 'spine' of the leaves - basically the top side of the leaf structure it's on now.

I really like the leaves to the right but something about the left end looks 'added on'.

Realize that I say all of this while wishing I could do a design anywhere near as good as what you have now - you're at 'good' but it's easy to understand your wanting 'great'.

monk

Staff member
i think if the background is cut deeply enough, and the texture is interesting, this could fly. or maybe i would reduce the overall size of what you have here and add more to it . jm2cw

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Strictly speaking from an aesthetic viewpoint, what seems off to me is that your backbone is tiny and the leaves are large and all outside of the backbone of the scroll.

I like your leaf structures.

Peter

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you, for the insightful input.
Back to the drawing board....
I've been working on another design which may reflect most of the suggestions offered.
More leaves, 24k tendril and spiral backbone, with less background.
What do you think of it?
Thanks again, Stephen

John B..... I look forward to meeting you at the Knife show, my first. I'll have a hobo nickel in my pocket.

Attachments

• almar33 copy.jpg
    almar33 copy.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 146

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
My "Rank Amature" opinion on the first concept, It ain't NATURAL. You won't see the two leaves originate like that in nature therefore it doesn't seem right. Just one concept I picked up on the forums. The second one is great!

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
I like the second design. Don't forget the width of the gold. Make sure the leaf widths at there starts are not thiner than you want. Your looking good. Let us see it after you cut it.

Joe

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That second one has it!

Looking forward to seeing a picture of the finished work.

Just hope I can remember all the good advice you got when I try to do something similar.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like your second design MUCH better Stephen. One thing that is mentioned often is to have the 'backbone' of the scrolls as smooth as possible as any flat spots draw the eye right to them.

Looking good, i'm anxious to see that second design cut.

Peter

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Now you're on the front burner, Steve.
Good job, much better, go for it.
Steve, I will be in the Antique Arms section at the Beinfeld show.
Please stop by if you can find the time, love to see more of your coins.
Bring the bolster too.
Best, John B.

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice, Stephen! How do you feel about that design? Go for it!.......Ron S

Andrew Biggs

Hi Stephen

With your first design. Try taking away the gold bit in the middle and start reworking the drawing by adding a couple more leaves and extend them to the borders. You have the basis of a nice design

Yip, the second drawing's excellent. I really like your leaf design and structures.

One thought on the gold. Perhaps instead of doing it down the centre line of the design that will be a bit lost when shaded etc...........how would it look if some of the small bits of leaf were in gold. Just a thought.

Lets see it when it's cut and keep up the good drawings. One idea always leads to another.

Cheers
Andrew

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Hello, Cafe Members
Thank you for the continued encouragement and support.
Your generous input is appreciated.
I will post photos of completed engraving, soon.
Thanks again,
Stephen

Latest posts

Sponsors