I'm hooked!!!

Degs

Elite Cafe Member
My 2nd nickel, wouldn't mind a bit of critique on this, not sure what I'm doing.
Need to get the photography skills up to speed as well.
This nickel carving is very addictive....... I'm hooked, I'll have to get more shipped over to the
UK..... I feel an Ebay session coming on!!!!

Cheers

Degs

Attachments

• nude002-dpegnall.jpg
    nude002-dpegnall.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 280

smays

I like it!! Would that be considered a herbo nickel?:D I havent done one yet....lacking time, and bufalo nickels!! I have heard how addictive they are.... I really need to work on other skills before getting hooked on hobos. Great job on yours though! Keep posting!

Shawn

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Great job on the nickel. Wish I had it in my collection....
You will do fine selling them for sure.
Keep carving. If you are going to spend as much time and sculpt the coins I would say only carve on full horn buffalo nickels. The collectors like a better host coin.
I have been carving hobos for a few years now and look forward to the time I spend carving.
Keith Pedersen

Degs

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys....

I as wondering about the nickel quality, I've only got a few low quality ones,
and a couple of what I think are 3/4 horns. Could anyone tell me what I should
expect to pay for full horn nickels.

Degs

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
I pick up full horn buffalo nickels for about 1.50 to 2.00 each. 1935, 1936.1937 are the cheapest. I sometimes get a good rolll for 1.00 each. Dont know whats available there though..If you are just going to practice use the lesser grades, but if they are going to be of the quality carving you posted , work on a full horn coin or as close to it.
There are SOME collectors that have wrote to me stating they would only buy with a good host coin.
Good luck and have fun carving.
Later,
Keith

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i don't need another hobby, but if you gals & guys don't stop with the nickel thing, i'm gonna start going thru my old ladys' change purse !

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah monk,
Give it a try!
If you mess it up, it's still worth a nickel.
Keith

Attachments

• MVC-015S.JPG
    MVC-015S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 111
  • MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 110

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice carving. Let me guess: that may be your second nickel, but you've spent just a little bit of time with a graver in your hand, haven't you?

Joe Paonessa

Degs

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Steve.... praise from the master.... certainly lifted the spirits.
gtsport... Yes I have had a graver in my hand for a while, but I've been away from it for the last 12 years working as a programmer. Started as a jewellery engraver 30+ years ago. Now back fulltime for the past month, and trying to get back up to speed.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Degs

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the old lady caught me goin thru her change purse. she also noticed in my e-mail, a tracking number from lindsay engraving and one from a microscope place. i think she's beginning to worry.

Malcolm

Very nice

Nice work Degs... I just bought some cobalt 1/16 to make some gravers with, then I can have a go too.. can't wait>S<.... this is from an 'Indian' ???.. Amazing !!.... brilliant..

Malcolm

Latest posts

Sponsors