In Austin

tldcowboygear

Howdy Folks,

A new job assignment has diverted me from El Paso to Austin TX instead of San Antonio. I am in Austin now so if there are any engravers in the area that wouldn't mind me dropping by to visit sometime I would really appreciate the opportunity.

Also, since I don't have any of my engraving equipment with me (living in a 37' travel trailer in RV Park) I am taking the opportunity to practice drawing. I have been avoiding drawing as I have the opinion that I am not an artist. Having read most nearly all of the threads posted on this forum from page one I now believe that I can develop that artistic ability (thanks to you folks encouraging others).

When I get just a little more practice, I will post my progress. In the mean time, should I draw larger drawings or actual sizes that I will be engraving?

I really want to thank everyone that has posted updates and pictures from Reno. The pictures have sure given me some things to study in addition to the books that I have.

Enough rambling! Thanks for your time, talent, and giving nature!

D.C.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
goodness, your wires must have shorted out ! engravers are artists ! and you will learn how to draw. the community here commands you to practice drawing, or we all fear for your future.it's critical to practice drawing until it becomes a natural act. then you will simply do it because you will have to. musicians have to learn the scale to make music, we must learn to draw to create well balanced and attractive engraving.early on you may see it as a pain, later you will accept it as a prerequisite to good work. try drawing the more simplified scroll and design first. do the more complicated stuff later. i would first draw larger to see the proper shape evolve. when the shape gets good, then start going down in size. i'd do at least 1" wide scroll , maybe even a tad larger-- to see how well you're doing. then go to as small as you plan to engrave.
good luck- we all have answers when you have questions

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
D.C.,

I second the advice above from Monk. I have had many come to me wanting to learn engraving. They always want to know about chisels, power assisted tools and everything about cutting. I always advise that they don't need any of that until they can draw scroll to acceptable standards. Most poor engraving I have seen is the result of poor designing rather than poor cutting. Most artists draw incessantly. Any time I am in a restaurant waiting for my order I am drawing on napkins. Any time I am in a waiting room or waiting for my wife while she shops, I am drawing. I have made it a habit of carrying a small sketch book with me so I can use it at opportune moments. I also have a scrap book of all these napkin drawings (dated) so I can gauge my progress. Go forth and draw!

Roger

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
D.C.,

I also draw like a drugged out pre-schooler.

But I've been practicing and I am (slowly) improving on my 'engraving related' drawing. One thing that's helped with drawing scrolls is the N'Graver Scollmaster Kit. It's about $35 and you can get it from GRS or from Rio Grande. It's basically just a set of three templates of scroll parts - one of spines, one of internal elements and one of external elements. Comes with simple instructions and a nice technical pen and pencil. The idea is that you use the templates to draw some nice scrolls to help you learn how to draw scrolls. Sounds so simple it's stupid but it does work. The nice thing is that later on, when you can draw things for yourself you can still go back and use the template if you're having trouble in a particular spot.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
D.C., You can only begin to draw good scrolls creatively after you have becme familiar with the structural aspects. Learn them first and it will speed up the creative process. Artistic works come later in the composition aspects of the design. Anyone can draw scrolls as they are rather proceedural things based on specific principals. Here are some of the rules.
Learn one good, smiple, accurate leaf style or structure (American leaf, no tendrils or such) and you can stretch it and alter it as you understand it better.
Round & smooth arcs and spirals (concentric, with no elbows)
Equidistant rule (keep the distance uniform throughout the travel of the spiral line.)
Leaf mass should be consistant with every applied leaf structure.
Background spacing should be consistant also.

Now let me say this. everyone breaks these rules, so they are only for getting started and getting solid in your understanding. The "Masters" know where and how to break them without destroying the grace and beauty of the design.
Get these rules memorized and apply them as you draw.

Hopes this makes learning to draw scrolls easier, but you can't beat a good class on scroll drawing with help right on the spot. If you have my books, work along with the leaf progression drawings and memorize each line and its character and its relationship with other lines in the structure so that you can draw it without copying.
Ron S

tgw

While in Austin

While you are in Austin, try to go by the Blanton Art Museum on the UT campus. They currently have an exhibit on European drawings, etchings, and engravings. The engravers featured are the "Little Masters" from 16th. century Germany. Some trained and were influenced by Durer. The prints that are on display are remarkable in their detail. They are just a little bigger than stamps but highly detailed.

I know this is not firearms or jewelry, but it is some impressive engraving. How they were able to do what they did with the tools they had is amazing. They must have had good eyesight.

Terry

Rick50

For clairification

D.C.,

I also draw like a drugged out pre-schooler.

But I've been practicing and I am (slowly) improving on my 'engraving related' drawing. One thing that's helped with drawing scrolls is the N'Graver Scollmaster Kit. It's about $35 and you can get it from GRS or from Rio Grande. It's basically just a set of three templates of scroll parts - one of spines, one of internal elements and one of external elements. Comes with simple instructions and a nice technical pen and pencil. The idea is that you use the templates to draw some nice scrolls to help you learn how to draw scrolls. Sounds so simple it's stupid but it does work. The nice thing is that later on, when you can draw things for yourself you can still go back and use the template if you're having trouble in a particular spot.

Hi Steve,
The N'Graver Scrollmaster Kit you spoke of...is it listed under another name from GRS? I have their catalog, but can't seem the item in question.
Thanks...

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Rick50; It's listed on pg 22 as Scrollmaster Template System, #022-196. Also in the Rio Grande Catalog as Item #118-136.

DARNEW

Iam living just out side of Austin towards Basrtop on HWY 71, I have some equipment but no shop yet, so I was engraving on the kitchen table. Anyway if you want to get together, e-mail me at darnew@dynamsys.com. or call me at 512-804-8149. Maybe we can take a trip to SanAntonio and go see Weldon, and maybe a trip to Katy. they do some nice engraving.

Last edited:

tldcowboygear

Howdy Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Ron - Your books have been a great help. I actually drew a couple that looked like scrolls. hehe I draw for at least 30 to 45 minutes each night. When I get a little braver I will post some of the photos. I see the photos from folks that post their 1st attempts and I am intimidated. They seem to be so far ahead and I am practicing my arm off.

Thanks to the folks that have extended invites I will certainly be getting in touch and coming to visit.

D.C.

Latest posts

Sponsors