Question: Ink jet transfer problems??

rossm10

Hello All,
I am having some big problems finding an inkjet copier that will work to transfer drawings with acetone. I recently bought a Canon MX922 thinking that this would work...it doesn't. After doing a lot of ink research and talking to people in the field it seems that a lot of printer mfrs. are adding colorfast chemicals to the ink and they will not transfer using the acetone method?? I did learn you have to try and find a copier that uses water DYE soluble ink...not PIGMENT dye but it still doesn't work...this method of transfer may become a thing of the past?? Any help out there??

thanks,
Ross

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Inkjet printers will not work with acetone. Only laser printers. You will have to research the different ways of transferring with inkjet. Use the SITE SEARCH link at the top left of the page.

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
As Sam mentioned inkjet printers don't work with the acetone method. I just purchased a HP Laserjet P1102w and works great making acetone transfers. Again as Sam mentioned do a search for transfer methods. The guys on this site posted excellent instructions to get you going. Also tips for inkjets.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use a Brother laser and it works wonderfully. I don't know the model. It is an older one. When you do get it up and running remember that it's a tricky business to get it to come out cleanly and dark. (at least for me) I've found that taping down one side of my image and then using the least amount of acetone possible lets me go back over an area that didn't transfer well. Figured this trick out last week. Up till then I just started over if one area didn't transfer well
Good luck!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I use a Brother laser and it works wonderfully. I don't know the model. It is an older one. When you do get it up and running remember that it's a tricky business to get it to come out cleanly and dark. (at least for me) I've found that taping down one side of my image and then using the least amount of acetone possible lets me go back over an area that didn't transfer well. Figured this trick out last week. Up till then I just started over if one area didn't transfer well
Good luck!

You seem to be one of the few with Brother lasers that transfer with acetone. I've heard many times that Brother laser printouts won't transfer. How old is it?

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't know how old this one is but I'm kinda glad to hear that Sam. I assumed all acetone transfers were just a pain in the rear. I get great images one time then very faint the next.
I'll have to give another printer a try and see what a good transfer looks like! I started doing acetone transfers only this year because my partner was using a laser printer in the office. I'll do a quick search and see what others are using.
Thanks,
Layne