Announcement: Intermediate engraving class @ GRS

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This illustration will be the project for my intermediate engraving class at GRS in 2020. Our canvas will be a heavy duty brass lighter. If your shading needs work and you'd like to explore a different ornamental style, please consider joining me for this class in our brand new expanded classrooms at the GRS Training Center in Emporia, Kansas.

Enrollment for GRS 2020 classes begins December 3 for basic, December 4 for intermediate, and December 5 for advanced.

The 2020 schedule is now available and there are plenty of excellent classes to up your game and get you to the next level.

Attachments

• ZORRO LIGHTER MOCKUP-copyright.jpg
    ZORRO LIGHTER MOCKUP-copyright.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 225

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hope nobody minds.
Got to move this back to the top in case anyone has missed seeing it.
It's just remarkably beautiful engraving, shading and highlight.
And the brass just gives it some extra oomph.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hope nobody minds.
Got to move this back to the top in case anyone has missed seeing it.
It's just remarkably beautiful engraving, shading and highlight.
And the brass just gives it some extra oomph.

Thank you John! Actually this is an illustration for the class. My goal is for the engraving to be sharper and crisper. The drawing gives the students a clear understanding of what to expect and how it should look when completed.

I'm happy that you like it :)

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Yes it is! Sam handed out photo printouts of the bronze lighter scroll design to our October 2109 iPad design class at GRS. I keep the image on my bench for reference because practically every nuance of what Sam does in terms of shading, gradiation, line spacing, zone shading treatment is present in this particular work.

One of the things I particularly appreciate, and one day hope to capture within my own work is the utilization of light and dark space and surfaces within the leaf and scroll work to minimize the need for background removal in recessed areas.

It seems to me that Sam takes an alternative approach to the traditional distribution of raised and recessed surfaces with deepened and nuanced shading of dramatically broadened leaf surfaces which gradually and richly transition from light to dark covering most of the available surface with minimal requirement for offsetting dark/black space.

The effect is absolutely mesmerizing.

I want to be able to apply this technique to my own work, and will definitely be signing up for the class

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Yes it is! Sam handed out photo printouts of the bronze lighter scroll design to our October 2109 iPad design class at GRS. I keep the image on my bench for reference because practically every nuance of what Sam does in terms of shading, gradiation, line spacing, zone shading treatment is present in this particular work.

Pure eye candy and a heck of a great study!
A very lucky group of student will get to work with Sam on this.

dylan.mk3

Hi Sam, do you have the transfer file for this, or would you be willing to sell it ? Would love to attempt this myself and have a reference to keep looking back on. Either way thanks for everything you do for the community !

alwayslearning2012

:::Pledge Member:::
My hopes are dashed, sadly.

When I saw the initial title of this thread, I was so ever hopeful. But then I realized 2 things: 1) There is no advanced class for advanced engraving in Emporia this year (at least currently....fingers crossed) and 2) this was originally posted 5 years ago.

"for what may seem like an eternity, must I go forth into the shadows of uncertainty"
- me

AL12

dylan.mk3

My hopes are dashed, sadly.

When I saw the initial title of this thread, I was so ever hopeful. But then I realized 2 things: 1) There is no advanced class for advanced engraving in Emporia this year (at least currently....fingers crossed) and 2) this was originally posted 5 years ago.

"for what may seem like an eternity, must I go forth into the shadows of uncertainty"
- me

AL12
Sorry for bringing it back up, im fairly new to the fourms so ive just been digging in my free time at work.