Is a heavily carved Ivory box suitable here?

Guido.

Hi Members

I have mentioned before I collect interesting small boxes, not sure if my latest Ivory carved one is suitable to post here?

Regards Guido.

Guido.

Hello Many thanks Chujybear.
Hope member find it interesting ,probably made in (France) 1760-1770.

may be workshop of Jean Antonie Belleteste (1718-1811) large renowned family of ivory carvers,or other workshop.
I suppose the method of ivory carving may have some similarities to the engraving trade (different material)

I collect boxes that have interesting workmanship. size is 7.5cms x 2.5cms.

Other similar boxes from the book "masterpieces of ivory" from the Walters Art gallery ,Baltimore.(Randall 1985)

If any one lives near the Walters Gallery it would be great to get some images of their boxes in colour.

I have contacted them ,seems like a lot of red tape to get images from them.

Regards Guido.

Regards Guido. riv 1.JPG riv 2.JPG riv 6.JPG riv 5.JPG biv4.JPG biv6.JPG biv10.JPG biv7.JPG biv11.JPG

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
there's no reason to not show this work. altho most will post work they have created.

Guido.

Hi thanks for your comments,I do understand,sorry I did not realize it was mainly about members own work.

That's why I asked the original question about posting it.

I am not an engraver ,although in my collecting of antique (old)boxes engraving is a feature on some of them.

so the forum is great for me to learn about engraving methods.

and I have also discovered that there are many ways other than engraving to decorate metal work (punching ,machine (engine turning) ,hand engraving.

It is great to understand when looking at different work to have an idea how it was done.

Regards Guido.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi thanks for your comments,I do understand,sorry I did not realize it was mainly about members own work.

That's why I asked the original question about posting it.

I am not an engraver ,although in my collecting of antique (old)boxes engraving is a feature on some of them.y hand

so the forum is great for me to learn about engraving methods.

and I have also discovered that there are many ways other than engraving to decorate metal work (punching ,machine (engine turning) ,hand engraving.

It is great to understand when looking at different work to have an idea how it was done.

Regards Guido.
most people that visit here do welcome beautiful creations done by hand. one of our members created cameos. although not engraving, very nice to look at.

Latest posts

Sponsors