Jason's work...

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Jason, very nice work. It doesn't surprise me since you always had real talent right from the beginning.

There are a couple of things though that I need to take issue with. I'm not sure if you know, but Tira and Rob Mitchell have created an online gallery where they are promoting engraving artists from all over the world. This is an avenue where artists can display and sell their works of art along with being able to create their own web pages. This may be similar to what you're trying to do with the guild.

I viewed your website and noticed there is no mention whatsoever of you having apprenticed with me in Traverse City. I also noticed that many of my designs are displayed on your site without credit noted. When you say you are an "open book" , there may be a few pages missing Best of luck Chris

jfava

Thank you all for your comments :tiphat:

Chris,

I understand your concern, and appreciate your coment. While I too have come across many items that I have engraved entirely and 100% credit given to you as if they were your work...

That being said... I choose to look past it. It's ok and I will update the information on my site.

As far as my bio goes I didn't think you would have wanted to be mentioned. But note taken, and no problem.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your comments

Last edited:

jfava

Here are a few process pics to give you all an idea as to how the border was done. Making it look like the corner scrolls are on top of the border:

Attachments

• Picture 111.jpg
    Picture 111.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Picture 112.jpg
    Picture 112.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Picture 113.jpg
    Picture 113.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 115
  • Picture 292.jpg
    Picture 292.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 117

jfava

oh, I forgot to address:

"Tira and Rob Mitchell have created an online gallery where they are promoting engraving artists from all over the world. This is an avenue where artists can display and sell their works of art along with being able to create their own web pages. This may be similar to what you're trying to do with the guild."

The idea and plan is vastly different then what they are doing, but thank you again for pointing out that concern. :tiphat:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One question on the corners and border. It looks to me that the border actually is lower than the corner embellishments. Is that true or is it just the illusion set forth in the work.

jfava

Thanks Mike, and that is correct. I created a downward ramp to the corner srolls(pictured) then peened and stoned them smooth. Finally engraving them.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hmmmm ! all i'm gonna say is, i sure wish i could do something half that beautiful !

jfava

Here ar the building blocks for how I put the scene together:

Attachments

• scene art land.jpg
    scene art land.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 67
  • scene line art.jpg
    scene line art.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Scene frame.jpg
    Scene frame.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Scene art.jpg
    Scene art.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 70

jfava

Here is a pic of the sculpted screw heads all together:

Attachments

• IMG00190-20091001-1553.jpg
    IMG00190-20091001-1553.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 91

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Jason,
In the process pictures it's hard to tell how the unrelieved scroll is shown on the gun.
If I may ask is it scribed or lightly cut at this stage in these pictures?
Best.

jfava

The main body scrolls are scribed. The corner scrolls outlines are cut lightly.

What is hard to tell by the pictures is the outside edge of the corner scroll is relieved. There is a slight downward ramp so to speak in between the scribes main scrolls and the raised corner... just giving the illusion of being raised.

the edge to the left of this scroll is where the relief starts and fades out

I hope this makes sence:tiphat:

Last edited:

jfava

Mr. Barraclough I'm happy to answer any questions. No problem at all. I use a ball ended scribe.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The screws are great. Very nice extra litlle touch to put your work over the top. Do you cut them then go in with high speed handpiece? I have a question on the bulino layout, since your in the question answering mode. Do you scan the gun, lay in your scene with an art program, then transfer, scribe? Cut the animals then the background? The bulino is wonderful. I especially like the tail feathers on the pheasant. Sorry for all the questions.

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
Man, I love those screw heads. I'm going to have to practice sculpting screw heads now. Beautiful work, as always, thanks for posting all these great pics.

jfava

Thank you guys! I don't mind questions LOL It's cool. Yeah... I have a thing for screw heads....lol

Mike,

I personally cut the outlines with a square graver, then chisel out the backround deep. Then follow it up with flat gravers and bevel the edges. Finally I use punches similar to what a jeweler uses for channel setting and punch and move the metal into shape.

with these because there is no border I filed the grooves around the perimeters.

As far as the layout, I do smoke pulls of the surfaces on wide clear tape. Stick it to paper. At this point I have a negative in perfect detail with all the edges defined. Then I scan it in and "invert" colors (which gives me the third pic from the left.)

I scaned in the backround drawing of the landscape and fit it in via photoshop.I draw the outlines to my figures really large then scan and shrink at high res.Then I fit them all together in photoshop. Print them and do the Tom White transfer magic method.

This is a fairly new method for me. I am use to doing it with acetone and dry toner xerox way...lol old school, and draw the landscape on the metal by hand. Pretty much I do whatever method it takes to get the figures on at as high detail as possible.

I NEVER cut through a transfer. Everything is scribed in and the surface cleaned off before I start cutting.

Here are a few not very good pics to show what I'm looking at when I'm cuting. I think you'll get the idea. You can just barely see the scribe lines.

:tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG00216-20091009-1721.jpg
    IMG00216-20091009-1721.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG00206-20091009-1247.jpg
    IMG00206-20091009-1247.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Sponsors