Joe Kious Engraved Knife

Andrew Biggs

This is my Christmas project. A Joe Kious folding knife that was given to me to engrave by Scott P a couple of months ago. I’ve still got to engrave the other side and hopefully it’ll be ready for Reno.

What’s different about this for me is it’s the first quality item that I’ve engraved. I have no idea what it’s worth but there is a huge mental adjustment going from mild steel inexpensive items to a high class item……….it sharpens the mind somewhat and gives you the jitters all at the same time.

As usual it presented challenges in the holding, and gold work, and just about everything you could think of!!!. I shimmed the inside to prevent it from pinching then held it firmly in thermolock to add extra strength and I’m pleased to say that it still opens and closes beautifully. The 24k gold wire is mostly .30mm and .5mm was used to fill in the quails head using the technique that my good friend John Barraclough showed me how to do.

The knife itself is a beautifully made item and I can only guess at the sheer skill of the man that made it. The length of the knife is 132mm when its fully opened. It’s a work of art all in itself and I can only hope that I’ve done it justice. As usual any comments or critique is always welcome.

It’s also New Years Eve here in NZ as we are a day ahead of you. So by the time a lot of you read this it’ll be 2008 at the bottom of the world. Thank you for all your advice and encouragement over the last 12 months …..it’s really appreciated.

Wishing you all a very prosperous and wonderful new year.

Andrew

Attachments

• Side-one.jpg
    Side-one.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
A

ArtisanAttributes

Very Nice Job!! It looks as if the jitters served you well.

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
That is a real thing of beauty. I especially like the quails top feather going thru the scroll
thanks for showing this
Dave

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, nicely done. It does make you take a deep breath the first time you cut into something expensive. Does'nt take long before your wacking away at it, like its just another piece of steel. :) Brian

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Very impressive work!

Andrew, you’re now playing between the great engravers of the planet.
Congratulations

Bonne année, happy new year :)

Jean

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, that is one intricate, flowing and beautiful design. Amazing!! You guys and gals sure dress up some metal like celebrities. Splendid.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A super job Andrew!!
It's a really nice design and done well. Is the other side going to be a mirror or something else?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Superb engraving and design, Andrew! A very rich treatment like this done on a Kious knife places it into the high-end collector's category. Congratulations!! / ~Sam

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow! It looks great! I can't wait to see the other side. You certainly have been busy over this break. Have a great new year. :)

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
Very nice design. A lot of gold work in this projects. Looking forward to seeing the other side. Thanks for showing it.

What material did you use to shim with?

Joe

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
andrew, at long last, you have done a real birds' beak ! and a delightful one i must say ! this is what one would call a perfect flow of line or transition.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Congratulation on another wonderful piece of work, Andrew.
Fantastic shading on the quail's head and the use of multi color silver and gold.
Please check your Email for a New Years message.

John B.

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for all those nice words.

It's a great way to start the new year as it's 2008 here already!!!

There is a couple of obviouse kinks that need to be attended to and reworked before I hand it over. The other side will be the same as the photo. The shims I used were ice cream sticks for the bulk and then very thin metal bits that I cut off an old tobacco tin.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
if you send the knife to me, i promise not to fret about the "kinks" ! i'll enjoy them !

Latest posts

Sponsors