Ken Hunt thread - engraving and artwork

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam,Keep those drawings coming so the newbies can see how important it is to lean how to draw,engraving it an art.:pencil: J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam,Keep those drawings coming so the newbies can see how important it is to lean how to draw,engraving it an art.:pencil: J.J.

I'll keep em coming as long as Ken keeps making them!

I hope you got my thank-you email, JJ. I love the antique tool and Cafe contribution you sent!

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Looking at the dates on the drawings, reminds me of an old bi*tch we used to have.
Every time you turned around she was spitting out another litter of pups !
I think the term is "Prolific", but in Ken's case his drawing ability is in hyperdrive !
Again, thanks to both of y'all for these incredible studies ! :pencil::clapping:

monk

Staff member
what a beautiful relief from the usual , boring, lackluster forum stuff ! just unbelievable to be able to enjoy all this. sort of a time line history of the art, if one takes time to read all that's here.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
And just when I thought life could not get any better:thumbsup:, this is the closest I will ever get to seeing the real thing, for all us newbies this is a gold mine, thanks,

Richard.

JJ Roberts

If you ever travel through northern Virginia try to stop and see the NRA museum in Fairfax Virginia there's a lot to see,I live 15 min.from the NRA. J.J.

Sam

Staff member
884881674487510436_379561324.jpg
" Initials I engraved on Larry Wilson's pocket watch" [R.L. Wilson the author]

885082037756933854_379561324.jpg
"this is a gun carved early in my career. I don't like having to be restricted by doing other people's designs. Every one of the guns I did were completely different, with the exception of those traditional trade designs. I never designed on paper always let the gun give me feeling what was needed. I always had the anxiety of how fast I could get the work out so that the gunmakers get the gun to the customer. Looking back I wish I was given more time to produce more interesting work. Some did come much later, but I couldn't break the habit of speed."

884660815147611993_379561324.jpg
"One of a series of plates Larry Wilson acquired from different engravers"

884969038325004129_379561324.jpg
" Battle of Bunker Hill engraved by Gustav Young"

phil

Elite Cafe Member
I've just joined instagram and have had a pleasurable morning browsing Sam and Kens posts. Its a pleasure to see. Thank you for posting.

JJ Roberts

If you go out of your way and learn how to draw you will be successfully at the art of engraving. J.J.

Last edited:

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
There have been so many wonderful threads on this forum, but this one may well be the best ever! Thanks Sam!!!

Stewart

Sam

Staff member
There have been so many wonderful threads on this forum, but this one may well be the best ever! Thanks Sam!!!

Stewart

You're welcome, but thanks goes to Ken, not me. I just copy and paste. Like you, I'm grateful we're getting this from him! :happyvise:

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
It truly is a treasure trove Sam. Remember the good old days when almost nothing was available?

JJ, you are right! Frank Hendricks always said that learning to engraving was a two step process. Learning to draw what you want to engrave and learning to engrave what you draw. I have found that to be so very true.

Thunderone

Thanks Sam these are great no one can see too much engraving or learn more When one stops learning usually it is because someone is patting dirt in your face with a shovel may we all live long and keep engraving Larry Cole

Sam

Staff member
886469381743490137_379561324.jpg

"Here is a demo on how to set up a " scorper " a tool that cuts a flat wide stroke ,it can be honed to any width needed .I have shown how to make one from an ordinary graver . Also the sequence on how to do an inscription ;this is to help our novice engraver who maybe have no instruction with this part of engraving ; I hope you can follow the drawings."

886318921497753566_379561324.jpg

"A pen drawing with dip pen . Our calligraphy friends know how frustrating it gets when the nib refuses to let down the ink in the middle of a line , the bugger won't let it go .then you find the paper isn't the right sort , catches , picks up lint , the ink is too thin or thick .Still when it goes right it's delightful ; like all crafts you have to have good tools ,that cuts out a lot of disappointments ."

886426271873284051_379561324.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors