Laborers commemorative sculpture

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A breathtaking masterpiece of monumental proportion! Simply unbelievable, Walter. After doing a fair amount of study on Michelangelo before our last trip to Italy, I have an even greater appreciation for the artistry and labor in a project like this. From lettering to figures...you've about covered it all! I hope one day I can see it in person. :bow:

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Your work is both stunning and amazing! How you can go about this especially in something as unforgiving as stone just baffles me. Thanks for sharing! Seth
It shouldn't be baffling. It's the same thing all you engravers do, except ten times as large, in three dimensions, and in an inconsistent, variable material.

(well, 10 times as large measured linear, if you figure square inches of surface area that becomes 100 times as large. :) )

Gargoyle

It's been going slowly the past week, but it's almost there. I still have a lot to do on the right hand figure, and I'm not sure if I want to delineate the bridge in the background any further.

I enlarged the stars and worked on the arms of the hod carrier (the figure on the left). Any other suggestions or things that jump out at you, let me know.

Oh, I just remembered, my wife pointed out something I have to clean up with the pick axe, I'll do that in the morning. :)

laborers-progress-dec11-d.jpg laborers-progress-dec11-c.jpg

On the detail shot, the woman with the axe was unfinished- legs and boots mainly; on the full shot, I'd done those things.

Last edited:

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
You are an amazing artist, Walter.

Luckily we have many opportunities to view some of your works, since so many of your pieces reside in he Chicago area as well as other major cities. It would be a great experience to be able to visit your studio one day.

Mike Fennell

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Gargoyle,
This work amazes me! I've carved wood for many years, and worked granite and marble for the last 15 - trying to see what's in a 2 ton block of stone, with only a hammer & chisel in my hand totally would make me want to look for a new profession. The thought of making the wrong chisel stroke, or hitting something too hard - not a good thing to think about. You must have trained for many years.
Thanks for sharing your monumental skills.

Gargoyle

Front side is done, now I'm starting on the back. It will have five shallow reliefs, four represent major projects they've done, in the center will be their logo, and above it scrolls with words.

Laborers-memorial.jpg Laborers-rear-roughout.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors