Laser toner transfer discovery

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Not a major discovery, but an important one nonetheless. My Canon ImageClass 1620 with 121 toner transfers weaker than my old Canon printer that used 120 toner. On a hunch I bought an aftermarket toner cartridge on Amazon for $30 (vs $175 for Canon brand) and it prints and transfers beautifully. Seller claims it's the same 5000 page capacity. They came in a package of two for $59.

As long as it functions and doesn't cause any hiccups I would say it's a winner.

Seems like I read of someone who owns a Brother printer discovered something similar with an aftermarket toner. Brother printers are notorious for not working with acetone transfers. Maybe an aftermarket toner is the answer?

Attachments

• EB632CA3-4DAA-4BA1-AFB7-4D295ACAB9A2_1_201_a.jpeg
    EB632CA3-4DAA-4BA1-AFB7-4D295ACAB9A2_1_201_a.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 104

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
While we're being helpful this morning, here's another transfer tip: For some applications, it's better to use a "negative" for a transfer. In other words, a solid black background with white lines. You can engrave the lines without destroying the pattern or making a mess of flaking toner. In practice, this works best for things where you can make a smokeprint of one side of a piece, then copy it to make a transfer for the opposite side, in which case it's already reversed.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
A related issue is how your printer is set up. Many printers will print in ECONOMODE unless you tell them to print heavy. A lot of them will go back to that mode if reset, so you have to make sure that your printer is set to print heavy.

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Finally, vindication from the "big guy" himself.................... yup, my Brother printer has been printing transfers since I replaced the factory toner with an aftermarket unit in 2009, been singing the praises to a deaf audience since.

Sam

Staff member
Finally, vindication from the "big guy" himself.................... yup, my Brother printer has been printing transfers since I replaced the factory toner with an aftermarket unit in 2009, been singing the praises to a deaf audience since.
Do you know the brand of the aftermarket toner? That’s great info for Brother users.

Sam

Staff member
While we're being helpful this morning, here's another transfer tip: For some applications, it's better to use a "negative" for a transfer. In other words, a solid black background with white lines. You can engrave the lines without destroying the pattern or making a mess of flaking toner. In practice, this works best for things where you can make a smokeprint of one side of a piece, then copy it to make a transfer for the opposite side, in which case it's already reversed.
Dang good idea Mitch!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A related issue is how your printer is set up. Many printers will print in ECONOMODE unless you tell them to print heavy. A lot of them will go back to that mode if reset, so you have to make sure that your printer is set to print heavy.
my Canon's default setting is for a higher speed when copying, so if i need better resolution i have to reset that, along with bumping up 'density' and 'sharpness'.

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Not a major discovery, but an important one nonetheless. My Canon ImageClass 1620 with 121 toner transfers weaker than my old Canon printer that used 120 toner. On a hunch I bought an aftermarket toner cartridge on Amazon for $30 (vs $175 for Canon brand) and it prints and transfers beautifully. Seller claims it's the same 5000 page capacity. They came in a package of two for $59.

As long as it functions and doesn't cause any hiccups I would say it's a winner.

Seems like I read of someone who owns a Brother printer discovered something similar with an aftermarket toner. Brother printers are notorious for not working with acetone transfers. Maybe an aftermarket toner is the answer?
Just placed the order. Thanks Sam! Looks like I owe you a chicken dinner.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
the 'negative', white-on-black transfer trick really comes in handy for restoration work. before ANY polishing on a rusted/pitted engraved or stamped part, give it a good scrubbing with a brass brush and your rust remover of choice. clean it well, then take a smokeprint, lifting the impression with clear tape and applying it to a clear acetate/mylar sheet. Make sure you capture a few screw holes, edges, corners, slots, lettering that won't get polished out, etc.- whatever features there are, within the smokeprint, which will be used to accurately register the transfer after polishing.

Make a photocopy @ 100% thru the backside of the transparency to reverse your transfer. With a few cut-outs to locate the 'registration marks' on your transfer, you can position it EXACTLY where it was.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
With mine sometimes it just won't transfer. It's usually on sterling silver. So I warm the item slightly with a hairdryer and it seems to transfer fine after that. Usually larger items like cups are what I need to do that with.

IDJewelry

I see I’m a little late to the printer party. Can anyone give me a list of semi affordable printers that I can use for acetone transfers? Or any help at all. The one listed on the D series Canon printers are impossible to find. Help? I’m a newbie

I see I’m a little late to the printer party. Can anyone give me a list of semi affordable printers that I can use for acetone transfers? Or any help at all. The one listed on the D series Canon printers are impossible to find. Help? I’m a newbie
I am a newbie also. I just picked up a used cannon image class MF4350d for cheap off of the used market place that has a bad reputation today. if for no other reason I can't find a new printer due to the supply chain clog up. I am having trouble getting drivers for it but it copy's and transfers pretty good. as long as I don't get the paper to wet. I hope that helps. like I said I can't find hardly anything new out there that isn't pretty pricy and I am trying to be nice about the cost of the new ones