Laser Toners that work with acetone to transfer engraving designs

Bob Savage

HP Laser Jet Pro M15w is the smallest monochrome laser printer on the market and it is amazing for the price. Colors are printed in a gray shade.

Does this printer (and/or other lower cost HP laserjets) do good Acetone-only transfers?

zahar

Elite Cafe Member
любой сильный растворитель, способный растворять тонер

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
HP Laser Jet Pro M15w is the smallest monochrome laser printer on the market and it is amazing for the price. Colors are printed in a gray shade.

Does it make good acetone transfers? I've never heard of a color laser that worked with acetone.

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
Does it make good acetone transfers? I've never heard of a color laser that worked with acetone.
It’s monochromatic so it will only print black or lighter shades of grey which works well for the simple transfers I do.

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
I think the HP printer is internaly the same as my Samsung M2026W printer. It was 70 euro.
And is also a monochrome laser printer.

I think HP makes printers for other manufacturers/brands.

My samsungs software could also be downloaded from HP's website. Thats how I found out.

Bob Savage

So it looks like trying out a Canon with a test isn't going to be as easy as I thought. The two close Office Depot's have both closed permanently and the next closes doesn't have inventory.

What should my confidence level be that this printer would do direct Acetone transfers? It seems like the consensus is Canon toner transfers directly. I'm tired of fumbling around with the varnish layer process and am ready to grab this with a few votes of confidence.

Canon MF113w AIO Wireless Laser Printer - Office Depot

Edit: Or other options

Amazon.com: Canon LBP113w imageCLASS (2207C004) Wireless, Mobile-Ready Laser Printer, 23 Pages Per Minute, Black: Electronics

Amazon.com: Canon ImageCLASS LBP6030w (8468B003) Monochrome Wireless Laser Printer, Compact Design: Electronics

Amazon.com: Canon Image CLASS LBP6230dw Wireless Laser Printer, White, Space Saving, White/Grey: Office Products

Bob Savage

Figured I'd follow up. Somebody on the Lindsay FB site told me about a $99 mono multi-function Canon that is working well for him. It was store pickup only and only one left amongst all the stores near me, but I got it and it works with acetone. That said, I'm still putting a very thin layer of damar varnish on the material, letting it sit for a few mins and then sticking the paper to it so that the paper doesn't lift off the piece ore move so easily, but I'm happy to say the machine below works.

Canon imageCLASS MF232w

That said, I don't see it offered for $99 anymore but that could be due to my location so it's worth looking to see if it comes up at $99 for you.

707chrisa

Hi sorry I posted this in another thread but I like to use goof off super glue remover for HP ink . I like the can its easy to use . Yes I know it's most likely acetone but the only size can of acetone I could get was one gallon I will swipe some acetone and ink from my printer friend when I need a refill. Ps standard Goof off did not work as well, may work with other printers? these solvents cause dane bamage !

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
And if you have the ability to purchase your toner from an office supplier pushing aftermarket toners (Rapid Refill is such a supplier) then it doesn't matter which brand of printer you use, my Brother HL-2140 works flawlessly with acetone.
Unfortunately, some of the aftermarket toners can really screw up some printers. Apparently they gum up some mechanisms and don't clean off as well between prints, thus messing up later prints. I don't have enough data to name printer/toner combinations giving trouble. I know that I had that trouble once with a Brother laser printer, but Brother toner doesn't work with acetone transfer anyway.

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Yup, Brother toner doesn't work with acetone, my printer was purchased strictly as a business tool where it was common to make twenty plus copies a day, OEM toner is expensive which drove me to seek out aftermarket toner. All during that time the printer was used for my day job, when I read up on the whole laser printer process and tried it on my Brother printer it worked like a charm, it was not until later that I discovered that Brother laser printers don't work............. for everybody else but me.

Lots of aftermarket toner refills on e-bay, suppose when my drum finally runs out I'll need to do some experimenting, until that time though I will continue to defy logic.

Hope you're having fun and staying healthy in body and soul during all of this craziness.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yup, Brother toner doesn't work with acetone, my printer was purchased strictly as a business tool where it was common to make twenty plus copies a day, OEM toner is expensive which drove me to seek out aftermarket toner. All during that time the printer was used for my day job, when I read up on the whole laser printer process and tried it on my Brother printer it worked like a charm, it was not until later that I discovered that Brother laser printers don't work............. for everybody else but me.

Lots of aftermarket toner refills on e-bay, suppose when my drum finally runs out I'll need to do some experimenting, until that time though I will continue to defy logic.

Hope you're having fun and staying healthy in body and soul during all of this craziness.
Are you using acetone or some other type of solvent?