latest fly rod project

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

This is my latest fly rod project. It is built on a 8'6" 4 pc 4wt sage blank. My own design up-locking internal thread reel seat made from stabilized wood and titanium. The handle is stabilized wood and burl cork.

Ray

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Ray OOOsoo Nice...
Someday when I have time to fly fish, That would make a great present...
Have you finished the one for the 50th birthday??? If this one is not it post a pic after you deliver it to the lucky person...

They are beatiful...
Best of everything,
JLSeymour

Last edited:

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Ray, that sure would be just the ticket to go in my German drilling case that has a backpack spin/fly outfit included. If I were a fish I would want to be caught with that rod! Magnificent to be sure!! S

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Ray that's is a very nice fly rod. Great choice of rod blank, great choice of woods, and beautifully engraved accents. One can see the quality throughout the entire project.

Mike

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Wonderful job, Ray. Probably the nicest engraved flyrod I've ever seen. / ~Sam

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the input guys

Jerry,

This is the one that was for the birthday. I promised the customer that I would not post it on the net anywhere until after her husband's birthday so there would be no chance of spoiling the surprise.

Ray

Ray you are one awesome dude. What a fantastic, brilliant and artistic man. Absolutely georgous!!!!! congratulations on a job well done!
Rich Hambrook

steichman

WOW!!
Any chance you could talk about fabrication of the metal parts, Are they steel? How thick? If the background is not steel how did you get it so dark? Lots of questions,once again fantastic job.

Steve

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve,

The metal parts are titanium

After a HEAVY stipple I paint the background with satin black rustoleum.

Ray

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray,

Gorgeous as usual! But, I've just got to ask seriously...would someone REALLY TAKE THAT BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF ART OUT TO A STREAM? Is this truly made to be used or just admired? I've never had the pleasure of fly fishing but it always looks like a fine art in itself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, doesn't the reel attach to the "cylinder" at the back of the rod where the inlay and engraving are? If so, who would want to cover this area with a reel? Do you fabricate the entire rod or do you specialize in the engraving? Are the finest rods still made from split bamboo? I know, I know, too many questions!

Again, it's a stunning piece. I can not only really appreciate the engraving, but as an amateur wood turner, I can also admire the choice of woods and the turning skills and design.

Mark

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Absolutely they are made to use!

There is no reason not to use it. I fish with them.

Honestly good gear is worth taking care of and if you take care of it there is no problem using it. No more than it is a problem to use a finely engraved trap or skeet gun. Why own something if you are not going to enjoy it.

At the Blade I ran into the owner of the four rod set that is on my website and he mentioned that he uses the rods often.

The reel actually attaches opposite the engraved hood the engraving is up and the reel is down below is a pic of the rod with the reel that goes with it.

I do actually make the reel seat and handle and pretty much everything except the blank and the guides. If there was a cost effective way to make my own carbon fiber blanks I would. But unfortunately a rod would cost $100,000 if I got set up to make my own blanks individually for each rod.

As far as split bamboo vs carbon fiber, that's one of those very very very objective subjects. It kinda like asking,"Isn't engraving done totally by push graver better than engraving done with air assist tools?" Good way to start a fight in a fishing hole.:eek:

Even though I like a softer action rod I do prefer carbon over boo. It is much lighter in weight, much more efficient, and not at all effected by temperature and humidity like natural boo is. That's not to say that I won't get the wild hair to make a boo blank some day. My favorite blanks tend to be made by Scott, Winston, Thomas and Thomas, and Sage. I also prefer the beauty of unsanded blanks. It is a real shame that way too few companies produce unsanded blanks now days. Loomis & St Croix blanks tend to be way to stiff for my taste.

There are a few others I have not had the opportunity to try yet. I have been interested in the diamond back blanks for a while now just because they are so danged attractive but I have not tried one yet to see if I like their action and performance.

Ray

Attachments

• rod17a.jpg
    rod17a.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Mark

Most people use carbon fibre rods today and I must admit they are a pleasure to use. You can get ones with a fast action, slow action and so on. As usual you get what you pay for as the lower price end ones arn't quite as good as the higher end ones. But...........they all catch fish just the same!!!!

A lot of the older split cane rods can be real clunkers and tire your casting arm pretty quickly. However in saying that a few custom rod shops are now producing exquisite split cane rods for the high end market that are wonderful to use. I even read somwhere that someone was starting to make horse hair fly lines like Izaac Walton used in the 1600's. Amazing!!!

It seems that as we get more high tech the more some people want to go back to basics. That can be seen with the resurgence of primitive bow hunting and in some places, spear hunting.

Would I take that rod Ray has made and engraved out fishing? damn right I would and it would have it's own bed to sleep in at night. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Certainly a work of art. Simply gorgeous! I was curious whether such a fine rod & reel would actually be used myself.

Great work Ray and thanks for all the information.

Peter

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Ray, absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its so good to hear you actually use these! So much of the very high art knives etc. never see the light of day.It must be very gratifying to catch the noble trout on one of these exquiste rods & reels.:)
thanks for showing.
Kent

Latest posts

Sponsors